How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Varieties For Cigar Blend
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:47 am 

I realize this is probably a can of worms topic, but I have limited access to seed. I live in Aus and it is illegal to grow tobacco. I managed to get see off of another forum user which was awesome.

This last year I grew a modest crop of Havana and shirazi. I am aware Shirazi is probably not a traditional cigar mix but it is what I could get. The shirazi is small leaf so it is only good for filler. The Havana I will use for filler/binder and if I have reasonable leaves the odd wrapper. I kind of thought this was going to limit my blending options, so I bit the bullet and ordered some seed from the tobacco seed company in the UK because he promises discreteness. I was pretty happy when it arrived.

So now I have Black Mammoth and Connecticut Broad Leaf to add to next seasons crop.
The question is have I got the right varieties for a blend and what sort of flavor and strength can I expect from these varieties?

Cheers and sorry for the long winded post.

Post subject: Re: Varieties For Cigar Blend
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:09 am 

Hi - I'm no expert but 4 types should definitely yield some interesting flavours and different combinations. When you get to that stage please share your thoughts. Play around with the Shirazi and Havanna in the meantime and see what you get, and post some pictures!

BB

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:53 am 

Black Mammoth has been difficult for me to cure properly.

Florida Sumatra is a large leaf and cures far easier.

Little Dutch is a good cigar filler, easier to cure than Black Mammoth, and does have a substantial, robust flavor.
rc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:24 am 

Cheers for the advice. Different seed varieties are not easily obtained down under. Whats your thoughts on the Connecticut BL?
Do you think the varieties I have are suitable flavors/types for cigars though?

Cigar smoking is not a popular past time around here, maybe more popular in the "well healed" people.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:26 am 

BruceBear wrote:
Hi - I'm no expert but 4 types should definitely yield some interesting flavours and different combinations. When you get to that stage please share your thoughts. Play around with the Shirazi and Havanna in the meantime and see what you get, and post some pictures!

BB

Cheers Bruce