How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: unknown turkish tobacco - can anyone identify it for me?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:54 pm 

Hi, I bought seeds for this plant form plantation house a couple of years ago - they just called it "Turkish". I emailed them to see if they could tell me the specific type of "Turkish" it is... but no reply.

Here are a couple of pics:

I have just let this one do its thing no suckering and I'm letting it flower- lower leaves have started yellowing and I have picked some of them.

Here is a close up of the leaves - see how the leaf narrows to the stalk, and then there's a separate frill around the stalk beside the stem connection:

Hopefully someone will recognize the plant and be able to tell me what sort of "Turkish" it is

Post subject: Re: unknown turkish tobacco - can anyone identify it for me?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:13 pm 

It looks nice enough, theg.
But it'll never be 'all that it can be' if you let it grow to seed, which I'd imagine is important, at least this time around.

You might want to go over to Skychaser's retail site and look at his strain pictures to see about a comparison.
rc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:25 pm 

It's the only one I'm letting seed. I have looked at skychaser's pics, and I think it's either bafra or basma depending on how stunted it is, but his pics don't show that much detail - I'am actually hoping he'll see this and weigh in

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:32 pm 

The Skychaser is such a nice fellow... if he doesn't drop in, send him a PM.
He's always very helpful.
:-)
rc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:04 am 

Hard to say. My first thought was Samson or Bursa. But Bursa has a more spade shaped leaf. I've never grown Basma and somehow I didn't get any picts of Bafra. It's been 3 years or more since I grew Bafra and I don't remember what it looks like. lol When it gets to full maturity and full bloom I might have a better guess. The flower color and flower head shape can help identify them better.

That's actually a pretty nice looking plant for being container grown. Doesn't look too stunted to me. You do have suckers. They would grow like hell if you topped it. Oriental types generally aren't topped.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:55 pm 

It's just in an old chimney pot and I threw it in theres an afterthought. Then it grew faster than all the others. I decided to completely leave it to its own devices and see what happened.

Funny you say orientals aren't usually topped. I did top all the others and they certainly have nice big leaves, but none of them have yellowed like this one. I wonder if flowering is the signal for leaves to ripen in these ones.

I also noticed last year that the suckers on these plants lost that sour leafy smell as soon as the bud appeared and started to smell like fruit salad as near as I can describe. So I'm not suckering any of the ones I've topped now and seeing if a new bud will set the leaves ripening.

Thanks for having a look. Yeah I was disappointed you don't have a pic of bafra. I've seen other photos of basma and bafra side by side which made me think it might be bafra. But none show the detail with that little frill on the stalk at the leaf connection that isn't on my Virginia or Burley and I thought that might be the key to identification

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:33 pm 

These are the ones I topped - quite the difference

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:04 pm 

It does look a lot like Bafra.
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/ht ... .pl?356933
But the leaf attachment looks sessile and not petiolate. Bafra's leaf attachment is petiolate according to ars-grin.
https://www.google.com/search?q=PETIOLA ... CAkQ_AUoAg

The plants in the ground will have fine roots spread out in all directions for 5-6' or more. It very hard to get a container grown plant to equal plants that have unlimited root space in the ground. So comparing the two may not really be a fair comparison. Traditionally, most orientals are planted at very close spacings which often stunts their full growth potential, but does tend to concentrate the flavor in the leaf, or so the theory goes. They are also often grown in poor soils with little to no available fertilizer or irrigation, so wider spacing is pointless. And some orientals are just small plants, or very tall and columnar, so wider spacing is of no real value. They just won't get any bigger than the limit of their genetics.

In my experience, the "concentration of flavor" theory seems to vary from one extreme to the other depending on the variety. For example, if you grow Izmir with 2' spacing, give it a little fertilizer and good water, it will grow quite large leaves. But the flavor is very diluted down from what smaller leaf would give you. At the other extreme is Bursa. You can plant Bursa at 2' spacing or more and it will become a large leafed and very heavy producing plant, but will still have the delicious sweet flavor Bursa is known for.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:01 pm 

here's a pic of my bursa, couple years back

abt 1/2 grown, iirc.
rc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:55 pm 

My leaves are never that rumpled - just a smooth heart shape covered with fine hair. And, when I planted them with more space last year they still stopped at four feet. So I'm guessing not bursa.

Last year there was a distinct if short petiole. This year is more a narrowing of the lamina before it clasps around the stalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:29 am 

Those little "wings" at the foot of the leaf where it joins the stem means, I think, that it is what is known as a Kabakolac or Kabakulac leaf type. Two of the better known Kabakolacs are Drama and Agonya, of which the Agonya is reputed to have a slightly wider leaf. From Constantinides' book on Turkish tobacco printed in the 1920's. Both produce highly prized pipe and blending tobaccos.