How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Growing indoors in UK over winter
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:55 am 

HI

I have got the urge to experiment (with growing tobacco) a bit over the winter. It is my first year of any type of tobacco growing so an still finding my way. Apologies for repeating any questions here, I have done loads of reading on this forum but could not find the following info.

I am currently preparing my outdoor tobacco patch for the spring but want something to keep me motivated and occupied over the winter. As I have no tobacco to dry, cure or roll, I thought about experimenting with germinating, growing a few seeds and seeing what I could produce.

I am not expecting to get a great harvest so am doing this more as an experiment and to learn some more about germinating the seeds.

A few questions if anyone has an answer please:

- Does anyone have a preference to what seeds they germinate and grow indoors?
- Will a tobacco plant grow in a similar way to any other house hold plant (slowly) if left indoors with sunlight and normal house lamps?
- Would grow lamps be needed only in order to maximise the plant size?
- Obviously the plant will not grow to its outdoor summer size but would the leave still be useful to dry, cure and smoke?

Many thanks for any help :D

Post subject: Re: Growing indoors in UK over winter
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:37 am 

You can grow it like any house plant. It's tobacco so you can smoke it. I've felt sorry for the odd self seeding ickle plant and pulled it from the crack in my tarmac and transplanted into a pot. Last year we didn't have any really low temps so I had a few in my unheated greenhouse. The year before we had very hard frosts so I had to bring them indoors. They grew bigger but still miles smaller than ones outside in the ground through the summer.

It's not worth the expense of grow lights. It's so easy in the summer.
I'd think they would be reluctant to germinate at this time of year, but you should get a few. Don't be put off by the low germination rate. They know when it's spring and you'll get more than you can cope with!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:05 am 

Hi oldhag and thanks for the quick reply.

I thought the germination rate would be low . These little seeds are very clever! :shock:

I was thinking of putting around 100 down and going through the usual, keep wet and warm routine. Possibly in different parts of the house and see where they germinate best.

Then possibly grow the best 5 or 10 to full grown size. the volume will depend on the Mrs and what she will put up with! 8)

I was worried about grow lights, like you say, they start-up cost is prohibitive and also the ongoing running costs. Our house is normally around 65 F to 70 F so hope to get some growth. The light would just be natural light and the evening house lights.

Any thoughts on type of tobacco or would they all be about the same?

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:17 am 

If you are short for space a strain that I have looked into was N. Rustica. N. Rustica grows pretty short compared to other strains. I am growing burley right now indoors, but I plan to try out N. Rustica next.

Regarding lights, if you can get a cheap T12 fixture, get one blue spectrum and one red spectrum bulb. Combine the two and your plants will love the light. This is the setup I use for my indoor grow and it was very cost effective compared to other grow lights that can be purchased online or in gardening stores.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:34 am 

hi 28 forever , you might struggle with no horticultural lighting to aid/supplement winter daylight conditions ,

as tobacco needs a day/night routine in favour of daylight hours ( at least 14-16/10-8 ) to prevent flowering ,

anything near 12/12 will induce flowering , if it has enough vigor to get that far , it might stunt due to low light conditions or

grow like bamboo searching for light with no real leaf mass .

hope this has not put you off , as Oldhag says it can be an expense thats hard to justify for any real reward ,

or if your lucky enough to have space in an established indoor garden already then its easily possible .

i'm sure you could construct some thing on a budget as Invzame says .

it depends on how you value doing some thing that you enjoy lol , A1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:44 am 

Rustica are not good to smoke alone. Great for mixing with tobacco to lift the nicotine, but rough as houses neat!

I don't know which tobacco I've grown in winter 'cos like I said I just used self seeded ones. Probably Golden Virginia though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:48 pm 

Sunny room, BIG pot = winter growing indoors. Enough to keep us eager (desperate) beavers going until the optimum time. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:13 am 

Thanks for all of the advice and views on growing indoors. It is all appreciated. I purchased seeds from Uktobaccoseeds.co.uk (thanks Madhousebill) I got some Golden Virginia, Kentucky Burley and some Bursa.

I will be in touch for some Havana seeds. Suppose I would call it a right of passage to grow Havana for the cigars I want to roll! 8)

Just need the potting soil which I will get on my way home this evening. As we are experiencing a nice long extended summer in the UK, I would hope to get a few seeds germinated before the cold weather arrives. I know it is not the best time to do this but I will still find it interesting to see just how far I can get the plants to grow in a controlled 18 C to 20 C environment indoors. I am a Centigrade person! :?

As I would like to document the process, successes and learning points over the next 4 to 6 months (winter here) would this be better in a grow log?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:31 pm 

28, your selection of seed seems great for ciggies... I suspect you will have fun, yet poor results during winter, on the island.
But keep us posted! We always enjoy pics!
Best
rc