How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pocket shredder
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:23 am 

Has anyone purchased the pocket shredder advertized in ebay? It is $285.00 buy it now delivered. It shreds 1mm strips.

Dr.Bob

Post subject: Re: pocket shredder
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:00 am 

Dr Bob,

You talking about this one? http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=pocket ... rom=&_ipg=

I'd have to see it in action. ---- Looks to much like my pasta cutter with a crank and clamp.

Pasta cutter ---9.95
Shredder ----285.00 ----- Yep they'd have to sell me on that one.

-J.C.-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:11 am 

yes, that is the one but it is 1mm cut, and it looks pretty well built.

Dr.Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:20 pm 

For $285 that machine should do more then shred my tobacco. It should provide me with a lot of sex! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:35 pm 

ouch! :shock:
the words Sex and shredder should never be in the same sentence :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:46 am 

I think the cost is a little high too. In comparison I know many people still buying cigarettes at over $60.00 per carton, easily spending many times that much every year.

If the thing works well, produces a nice shred and proves durable I would buy one. Home grown tobacco is saving our household over $6,000.00 a year. We havent bought a single pack of smokes since September 2008. Getting that perfect shred is tough and if this machine will make the job easier it would be money well spent. Wisconsin retail on cigarettes is over $6.75 per pack.

I just wish I could find someone that has one of these shredders. He also has an electric version selling for $744.00 delivered. There has to be someone that has one and could give some input.

Dr.Bob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:47 am 

drbob, judging from the drawings he has posted, that unit looks like it can only shred a few leaves at a time and only enough for a few cigs without having to dump the hopper tray underneath
I don't see any serations on the blades so it may have a hard time "biting" into the leaf as others have commented and I've seen happen with my pasta cutter.

like johnc said, pasta cutter <$20 and with "spaghetti" setting, you can get about 2mm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:04 am 

I wouldn't have anything against a handy $285 baccy shredder if yer one of those folks who fancies widgets and gadgets, no matter what the price...

Charlie sheen apparently had a $150k watch to lose when he was out partying...

Lately, the scissors has been working well enough for me.
rc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:18 pm 

As far as the housing and tray goes they are a non factor to me. It is the cutting head that I am interested in. Heck I could drive it with a gearmotor and mount it over a 10 gallon trash can and be ready to go in a couple of hours. I sure wish I could find someone who has seen this thing up close and personal.

Dr.Bob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:45 pm 

Dr Bob

The guys from China and has a -1 feedback rating lol . You might want to order 2 of them it might make the trip to china more afordable to go hunt him up for more than one .

It does look to be very well made so who knows .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:54 pm 

colej wrote:
ouch! :shock:
the words Sex and shredder should never be in the same sentence :roll:

:mrgreen: You are right Colej! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:04 pm 

How can you guys tell how well built this machine is? I went to Johnc's link.. http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=pocket ... rom=&_ipg= and just got a pic of it and couldn't tell much about it at all.

drbob, seems we both quit buying commercial cigarettes about the same time and I agree that I have saved a ton of money as a result. Even at a cost of $285, if this machine worked well and was well made I would consider purchasing one too because shredding is a pain in the ass to me. I just didn't find any drawing to tell me anything about it.
Like you I would be interested in the cutting head also.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:36 pm 

Well it just looks to be well made to me . Thats opinion but with just a little machining under my belt it looks plenty strong if it will cut .

Plus I seen one very simular to this ( same head ) in another tobacco site someone posted here awhile back . These were made by an old man lots cheaper than this but worked on the same principal . He used washers with spacers all bolted together on threaded rods .

Seems the one the old man built could shift letting washers move and perhaps needing tweeked to keep shreading . This unit in pics looks to be a single machined piece and if so would have to be much stronger and reliable than the one the old man made .

I'm sure it can be found I seen it just a few months back . He mounted everything inside a wooden box he bolted together . Many in the forum that were talking to him stated how good it worked . Seems they did mention cleaning it and having to tweek it from time to time .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:50 am 

I agree with you lonnie it must be machined from a single piece of material. I also would have a hard time sending money half way around the world to someone with a -1 rating on ebay.

It would be nice to see one work.

I was just hoping that someone had one and could give me a report on it.

Dr.Bob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:53 pm 

drbob,
save your coins and forget about that shredder. I found a better and cheaper solution.
My pasta maker at first didn't work very well and it works on the same principle as the shredder you are looking at.
Straight from the box It just wouldn't grab the baccy unless it was really really damp, then it just clogged up the cutters and didn't shred worth a damn.

Today I took my $39 Pasta maker and used a dremel to roughen up the cutter surface to give it some "bite" when I put a leaf in and it works like a champ now. It goes through the leaf as fast as I can feed it.

My pasta machine is made by Shule and has three pasta sizes, Lasagna, fettuchine, and spaghetti.
I used the speghetti size to get the initial shred which gave me the width I like for my cig injector, but they are way too long, so then I run it through the fettuchine size which cuts these long strings down to about 1/2" or less.

So you can see how well it works I made a video. these leaves are in light case, just enough to not crumble.
for the first few I pulled the midrib, but then I wanted to see if this animal would eat the stems and it did without stopping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvCiGLZ4M5o