How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How do I make a cigar mold (cigar making)?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:42 am 

John, You woudl get a smoother finish to your drilled holes with both a different selection of wood and drill bit. A tighter straighter grain wood will not tear out as much and a outside edge cutting bit like a forstner or brad point also helps.

I was reading through this thread and actually making a mold woudl not be that difficult with the correct materials and actually could be done with using some pretty common techniques. Basically it is an issue of indexing each hole groove or notch. Once you have the jigs made you could pretty much crank them out. a rough explanation is to simply have a grove that was cut with a router ride on a guide in order to locate the next groove to be cut. You can do the same thing when drilling holes. place a piece of down that acts as a pin that the last hole you drilled fits over. this combined with a fence makes every hole placed exactly equal distance apart and in a straight line. Also look at jigs for doing things like dovetail joints. A common type of joint in furniture making. a cigar mold is not as complicated as that and nothing more than a long joint.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:06 pm 

There is a 1 page pdf with an interesting set of photos of a cigar mold on tabakanbau:

http://www.tabakanbau.de/pub/33638-datasheet.pdf

The image in the lower right shows the design of the interlocking edges of each cigar tube, preventing the otherwise flat lands of the mold from pinching the binder. Have any of you who have used molds without this design element found that to be a problem when pressing cigars?

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:53 pm 

Several of the molds I have seen so far are individual pieces that are then glued to a backing board. basically take a long piece of wood and cut a continuous groove in it then just cut that to the length you want the mold to be and glue them side by side. It is a different shape for each half of the mold but makes the process much easier to accomplish.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:44 am 

Hi
I have been making fairly simple molds for single cigars as i dont mass produce i can make them as i go, you still need some woodworking gear, I cannot find method of uploading photos, so i will wait till i make a you tube video.
graham

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:28 pm 

I don't see how making a mold could be too difficult. If you have access to a hard wood like walnut, a set of clamps, and a drill press with the desired bit size, it seems like you could simply clamp two boards together and drill some holes down the center. With the proper materials it sounds do able. Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:42 pm 

Joe S wrote:
Am I missing something?

Yes.

It is possible to make a mold as you've described, and several members have done that, and apparently been satisfied with the results.

On the other hand, a properly designed commercial-grade cigar mold requires carefully interdigitated lands and grooves, perfectly sculpted head ends, and a non-porous wood. As an example, have a close look at the images on the mold offered by http://www.tabakanbau.de

It looks very similar to the mold I have from the Camacho cigar factory. Notice that the combined depth of the top cavity plus the bottom cavity adds up to more than the diameter of the final cigar. This molds the bulk into a cylinder, rather than squishing it into an ovoid with wings. Also, a bored plank that has been sawed in half would lose part of the cigar circumference to the saw kerf.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:20 am 

deluxestogie wrote:
Joe S wrote:
Am I missing something?

Yes.

It is possible to make a mold as you've described, and several members have done that, and apparently been satisfied with the results.

On the other hand, a properly designed commercial-grade cigar mold requires carefully interdigitated lands and grooves, perfectly sculpted head ends, and a non-porous wood. As an example, have a close look at the images on the mold offered by http://www.tabakanbau.de

It looks very similar to the mold I have from the Camacho cigar factory. Notice that the combined depth of the top cavity plus the bottom cavity adds up to more than the diameter of the final cigar. This molds the bulk into a cylinder, rather than squishing it into an ovoid with wings. Also, a bored plank that has been sawed in half would lose part of the cigar circumference to the saw kerf.

Bob

It occurs to me that a good way to get perfect line up of the grooves and still have a perfectly circular mold would be to get a double thickness plank and then rip it with a band saw along the same plane that the grooves would run but in an irregular wavy pattern (end on view):
| / |
| \ |
| | |
| \ |
| | |
| / |
| | |

open and sand smooth then the two halves would only fit one way - like a lock and key

Clamp back together and end bore the tubes AFTER cutting and you wouldn't get ovaling
better?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:16 pm 

This way of moldong is not nessesarily traditional but is certanly the cheapest...

You need:

-Parchment Paper
-Tape
-Cigar binder

Wrap the cigar with binder as tight as you can in the parchment paper. Tighten the paper and tape so it stays in place. Let dry.

This works very well on thin cigars or if you have a cigar that doesnt fit your mould :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:14 pm 

I made a super horrid cigar mold after looking at one for sale online. this is the one I saw that made me think to try it Image
I just took kiln dried 2x6 cut two 14" pieces.
Sanded the pieces.
Nailed them together.
Eye balled a drill bit that looked like a good size for a cigar, then drilled between the two board ( drill press not jack of all trades drill)
drill 1/4 inch holes. I did 6 two on each end and two in the middle.
Put 4" bolts into the holes, put washers and wind nuts on the threaded end, tightened it down. and removed the nailes uning pri bar.

then I had to do a LOT of hand sanding and filing to clean up the molds. If I make one that looks less horrid I will post pictures and a better DIY.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:27 pm 

also wunderdawg do you have a link of a vendor to buy that 10 pack in the press ?

thanx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 pm 

With only one week left of fermentation the first havanna, my first cigar mold is done! it took a lot of sketching and prototypes but i think it will work alright. Im no professional carpenter so im quit satisfyed with the result :D ImageImageImageImage

Troels T.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:47 pm 

WOW I didn't know about molds till now.Never crossed My mind. LOL
What I did was went to the auto store and got a shamy rag (deer skin) Then I cut it 10 inches by 12 inches.
I then glued a 10 inch by 1/4 inch slat to the end (only one)
I zig zag the filler in hand, lay the binder on the skin and hold one hand on top of skin while I pull on the stick.
The skin will roll it up. I then take honey water and a brush to stick it down, Then I smooth it round in My palm and put the wraper on the same way. Then dip it and smooth one more time. I never had one come apart on Me or swell open.
THANKS for the info.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:07 am 

Making your own cigar mold seems easy enough to me. I plan on trying it, I would just get 2 flat peices of wood, drill a few holes for wing-nuts and bolts (to hold it together) and drill some 3/4 inch holes (I don't know ring sizes, but something like that) where the boards meet for the cigars.