How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:55 am 

I`ve just been looking at a product on ebay called polymorph.It is a plastic which becomes mouldable in hot water,then hardens off as it cools.It can be re-used if you make a mistake.I did think about trying to make a wooden one,but I have to admit it would be beyond me.I may try the polymorph to make a small tester to see if it is feasable/economical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:27 am 

WOW :shock:
I just had to look that stuff up. It looks really cool. You must post pics of how it goes. Did you get any yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:59 am 

No,I`ve not got any yet,hopefully in the next few weeks.

Post subject: Re: How do I make a cigar mold (cigar making)?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:44 pm 

I make my own pipes. This mold looks like way more of a challenge though. Wallrusman... who is this CI you say is selling molds for 20 bucks? You have a link?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:24 pm 

I just bought an antique mold on ebay for $16 including shipping from CT., and there are plenty more to be had.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:22 pm 

This guy sells molds:

http://www.otoaocigars.com/main.htm

Look on the left in the navigation panel.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:29 am 

I have accomplished making my own molds of any length, # of cigars, and 56 ring sizes. I put some pictures in the "Where do I buy a mold" topic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:01 pm 

The molds have now been tested thoroughly and are in production for sale. They are of solid Ohio Maple.
We currently offer molds for 10 cigars each in 3 ring sizes, 24, 32, and 48. Other are available for special request. Length of the cigars can also be specified between 2 inches and 8 inches. For members of this forum, the cost will be $25 each plus shipping.
These molds will also be put on Ebay for $30 each plus shipping.
We accept check and Paypal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:13 pm 

Knocked out a prototype set in less than an hour..... .75" core box router bit= $ 20.00 (Bosch brand), use a bench top vise to give clamp pressure, inserted two shims on the outside of each side to protect the mold from the vice clamp marks and also adds to the clamping pressure. This was done in a scrap piece of 2x12", while it works fine I am going to make another out of a better quality hardwood. Don't understand what all the fuss is about in making a cigar mold...what am I missing here........ While I do have a woodshop I am no professional woodworker.

My routers chuck is only big enough to accept a 1/2" bit shaft so I am limited to the .75" cutting bit. With a more expensive larger (professional) router that will accept a 5/8" or larger bit shaft I have seen the core box router bits in excess of 1.0" diameter if you desire a cigar with a larger ring gauge than my .75".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:56 pm 

Yeah, it's not all that hard.

I used to use the router method, but have moved on to a better method that allows me to make any ring size and even torpedo molds. Router bits were too expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:41 pm 

Regardless how they look, the functionality is exactly the same, I am not looking for a pice of artwork, just a good firm pressed smooth textured cigar.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:55 pm 

blueridgedominion wrote:
Regardless how they look, the functionality is exactly the same, I am not looking for a piece of artwork, that's where my decoy carving comes into play, just a good firm pressed smooth textured cigar, the aesthetics of the mold are all in the finishing and how much time one wants to spend on it.

If you have a router there is a pretty good chance you also have a good selection of cutters and if not $ 20.00 for a bit is a deal, that is for the .75" diameter. Sure you can spend upwards of $ 150.00 for a 1.5-1.75" diameter core box bit, but who wants to smoke a cigar with that kind of ring diameter ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:59 am 

Check out Polyester Resin for a plastics solution to making molds. I think it would be far more cost effective than sculpy. there is a wide range of choices but I know the stuff you can buy at crafts stores like Ben Franklins produces a very hard brittle cast. you can find much better process on the stuff online though. you can make a mold to cast it with from silicon caulk. silicone the caulk is fairly soft you want to take care that the final cast come out the right shape though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:21 pm 

Hi Troels from Denmark here.

Im trying to make a mold to out of beechwood using a router, so i would hate to see this tread stop, since its good inspiration :D so if any of you got some pictures of your projects please post!

Troels

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:17 am 

Troels,

I tried the router method and it's quite tricky, but can be done. I've been much more successful with using a drill press method where I drill down through tightly held slabs of wood.
I get a slightly rougher finish with the drill press method, but that doesn't seem to matter when you're just trying to shape and press a binder wrapped around the filler.

Beechwood would be the perfect wood and I would use it if I had access to some.

Have fun!

John