How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I make a cigar mold (cigar making)?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:07 pm 

Id like to learn how to make my own cigar mold. Anyone have any ideas? Please post links or pics of molds that youve made for yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:44 am 

First, making a traditional mold is next to near impossible. I look at mine and am amazed in the complex make-up of it not to mention the era in which it was made, not having CNC or CAD. Your better off finding one on Ebay or from Otoao cigars. There are other locations on the web you can get them such as something like This. Also with molds pick one that is simple, a lot of them on Ebay have an odd shape to them and you want to avoid them. They are hard shapes to master and a strait shot cigar is much easier to work with, wrapper wise and bunching wise. Here is an example of one you don't want.

Over on another site a guy has constructed one that is relativly simple and looks to be easy to construct. Flat piece of wood with little slats installed and a opposite piece of wood with slats on it to fit between the slats on the first board. Makes a square cigar but it looks like as far as I would want to go making a mold.

On a side note when I bought my mold it had some work that needed to be done on it so I took it to my brother whom is used to working with wood and is fairly good at it. He was so convinced he could remanufacture one just like it, after some looking it over for a while he came to the realization it was way to complex and was also impressed that the mold came from the 1920's or so. Good luck and if you find a mold post it for opinions...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:17 am 

I am new here, but I have found something interesting. Altidus, makers of Monticristo, H Uppman, and others, have started offering a 10 pack of cigars in a mold. I ordered one of the Saint luis Rey for $25.00, not bad for 10 cigars and a mold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:08 am 

Do let us know how the mold looks, including shape and size if you would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:39 pm 

Here is the link. This one is the SLR, but they have other brands as well. I will take pics when I get it.

http://store.jacigarsonline.com/servlet/Detail?no=837

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:47 pm 

I have one of these molds,, they are ENORMOUS in size. I think they are made quickly and cheaply just to accomodate the cigars in a cello wrapper. They are manufactured for gifting,, not really intended for use. If u like big cigars it'll work great though! I'd recommend sanding the inside down a little bit though,, as the wood seems a bit rough in there for pressing our precious tobacco into. just my .02

Post subject: Re: How do I make a cigar mold (cigar making)?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:07 pm 

[quote="sticks"]Id like to learn how to make my own cigar mold. Anyone have any ideas? [/quote]

Cigar rolling is still pretty labor intensive for me. I rarely roll more than around a half dozen at a time. I have been having decent success by taking each completed cigar and tightly rolling it in white bond paper or yellow legal pad paper. I then Scotch tape the tube to secure it. When I get a handfull, I warm the toaster oven, turn it off again and pop the cigars in to dry.

Leigh M
Portland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:25 am 

I never thought of making my own mold but this thread inspired me. Regardless of the fact that can be purchased more easily than it can be build, it could be fun.

**Note: I haven't tried this, I am not a professional cigar mold maker, and I accept no responsibility for any injuries that may occur as a result of someone attempting this. It is merely a concept.

On that note, I may not be a professional cigar mold maker, but I am a professional industrial designer specializing in manufacturing design, DFMA, and manufacturing processes. This again is just a concept; feel free to contribute (constructively) if you wish.

I would start by clamping to blocks of nice wood together (planed & cut to size). Size and length would be determined by the length of bits you have access to - particularly a ball nose end mill bit.

Using a drill press; drill along the longer side (assuming rectangular) of the thickness, centered of the 2 pieces where they meet. Keep depth to a length that can be finished by your ball nose (If you space these out evenly it will make your work easier for the rest of the process). This will create two symmetrical pieces, one will be used for plugging with tobacco, and the other will require secondary machining to aid compression. Before you unclamp these pieces; drill perpendicular to these flutes at both ends through one piece and about ½â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:23 pm 

To add to my previous post:

After rounding with the ball nose end, and before the two parts from the clamp; drill all the way through with a smaller bit. If you find that this end is to far from the edge, run each peice through a table saw.

On your milled peice, be sure to machine around the rounded end to provide clearance.

If you find this method works and produces decent cigars, maybe get creative and play around with shapes and ring diameters.

If I get any more bored than I am now I may do up some sketches or models, or heck I may just head down stairs and start building this thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:19 am 

Okay, taking it back to the first step.

-Drill the holes off center to create more of a "C" shape as opposed to a half circle. The "C" shape will hold the tobacco in better than the half cirlce. This, in turn, will effect the second part of your mold. That is desirable -as it will require less milling and creates a more sturdy part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:22 am 

Um ...yeah. All of this can actually be accomplished using a router, the right bits, and a little bit of finishing by hand. No drilling or milling at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:43 pm 

After screwing around with a moderate selection of tools and deciding building a mold was way more effort than it was worth (although I've reached the conclusion that it's entirely doable), I resumed my internet search for one to use this fall when I start rolling my own cigars. My brother pointed me to the accessories section on cigarsinternational.com, a place I'm sure we're all familiar with. I had looked there before and I had no idea how I missed them.

CI is selling Camacho castoff molds for $20 plus shipping, or $30 for two. The only catch is that you can't specify the size (I called and asked, heh), and the molds aren't in perfect shape. However, I am extremely tickled with the quality -- overall, I'm pretty sure every channel of each mold will be usable. The customer service lady I talked to said she couldn't be sure but they were likely smaller sizes remaining, which was perfect for me. I was looking for a corona or lonsdale, and I got two lonsdale size molds, with channels about 5/8" wide (40 ring, give or take) and 6.5" long.
Just thought I'd pass this deal along to everyone here, because it really is a great deal when you compare it against what else is commonly available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:57 pm 

I'm wondering if I could use Sculpey, air-drying clay, or papier-mache to make a mold. Papier-mache or paper pulp may not the best idea since they're still fairly porous unless they're sealed.

However, if Sculpey (polymer clay that is hardened/cured in a home oven) can be used, then I could make my own sizes. I love a good Churchill, but sometimes I crave a lonsdale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:33 pm 

I'm not familiar with clay products like that. I assume if they're cured they become pretty inert, but I'd be worried about smell/taste transfer. That said, what do you have to lose by trying? You could make a channel in a piece of wood, with a matching top piece. Then find a dowel the size of the cigar you want, put it in the channel, and squeeze the clay down around the dowel. It might work; let us know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:21 am 

Good call! Polymer clays are basically the same material as PVC pipes with a chemical to keep them workable until you bake/cure it in a standard oven. So I might try it after I get some tobacco for cigars. It may be quite a while before I do, but I'll be sure to post the results with pictures.