How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Types of tobacco for cigars
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:23 pm 

Hey folks,
Being new to tobacco, I wasn't sure exactly what to grow. So what I have growing is a lot of burley and flue-cured types for cigarettes, but I am wanting to roll cigars... any reason why not to use cigarette type for rolling cigars?
grokfish

Post subject: Re: Types of tobacco for cigars
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:00 am 

grokfish wrote:
Hey folks,
Being new to tobacco, I wasn't sure exactly what to grow. So what I have growing is a lot of burley and flue-cured types for cigarettes, but I am wanting to roll cigars... any reason why not to use cigarette type for rolling cigars?
grokfish

Havana seems to be very popular in the cigar industry. I'm growing Wisconsin seed leaf, Dixie shade, and Glessnor for my cigars. Also have some cured Havana grown last year that I might experiment with as well. Many websites will say what each strain is used for too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:36 am 

Check out newhopeseed.com, with each variety they carry they list what it is good for, ie. cigs, cigar, chew etc. In the final analysis, it's what you like, some are best suited for cigars or cigs, but I've read of people using the milder cig leaf for cigar filler or stronger cigar leaf for cigs.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:32 am 

What I am asking is I have a crop going now consisting of mainly flue cured, burley, and asian varieties...is there any reason why they can't be used as cigar leaf? What if I grew samsun or maryland 609 in shade? Would it work as a wrapper?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:20 am 

grokfish wrote:
What I am asking is I have a crop going now consisting of mainly flue cured, burley, and asian varieties...is there any reason why they can't be used as cigar leaf? What if I grew samsun or maryland 609 in shade? Would it work as a wrapper?

You can use your tobacco any way you like. It may taste like poop, but it's tobacco leaf and can be rolled the same as any other. But...... why not get some types that are proven to be good for cigars. Spend the money and get the right thing. Your mouth will thank you.

Colorado Carl

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:23 pm 

grokfish wrote:
Hey folks,
grokfish

I'm going to roll some with my flue cured tobacco. you never know if you mix the right blend you might come up with a good smoke that you really like.