How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: filler to binder and wrapper plant ratio???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:45 am 

The topic may very well be somewhere on the forum, and maybe this is not the place to pose the question. Iam new here.. However, I don't want to spend hours trying to find this information and then it not being anywhere..

This coming spring I will make my first attempt to grow tobacco. I'm pretty excited to start. I live in the northern panhandle of West Virginia in a town called Wheeling.

I have somewhat limited space for gardening and have always grown sweet corn , green beans, and tomatoes.

Here's my question: I believe my space will allow 26 tobacco plants. I want to grow filler, binder and wrapper leaves. If the majority of my plants are going to used for filler which seems to me where most of the tobacco will go, then how many plants should be binder and wrapper plants.?? Lets say in 2 of my raised beds i can grow 20 filler grade plants, then in the third raised bed how many plants will I need for binder and wrapper leaves for 20 fillers.???

It a theoretical question and it all depends growing conditions and most likely many more variable including type of seed, there must be an average. Iam just looking for a starting point. I know it's early, but at least I'll have something to go with next spring planting.

Post subject: Re: filler to binder and wrapper plant ratio???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:16 am 

Hi, and welcome to HTGT!
I am in a similar situation - growing tobacco for cigars, limited space etc. I settled on the Caribbean blend from http://www.northwoodseeds.com - Cuban Criollo 98, listed as filler - Habano 2000, listed as wrapper and filler - Havana 142, listed as filler.

You want as much wrapper as possible, so I planted out 9 habano, 5 criollo and 4 hav142. To be honest, any beautiful leaf from any of these plants will do as wrapper, so my plan is to put the best leaves to one side after fermenting, label them clearly so that I know what comes from what strain, and then keep a log of the results. I expect the Habano to be the best for wrapper, but I also planted out 5 little dutch and this should make for a very interesting mix.

You want to aim for a lot of wrapper vs filler/binder, because you don't know how many will survive the season. I expect a bit of wind damage where I am so my habano has the most sheltered spot. I don't know how many creepy crawlies we have out here that will munch holes in my leaves, rendering a large portion of my crop to filler status.

As well as the plants in the garden, I have a few in reserve that I will keep in containers. If I lose a couple of plants outside, I have the option to replace them. Whatever is left in containers will go outside somewhere (still in containers) so I don't expect them to reach their full potential, but I will end up with a bit more filler and binder material.

Hope this helps!

BB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:55 am 

BB

Thank you so much for your reply. I was really hoping others might chime in too, but maybe my question was placed in the wrong area.

I see what you are saying. I think I will lean to a few more wrapper plants in case some get damaged. This is all new to me. My biggest pests in my garden are deer. I've got a electric fence for next spring to keep them out, I hope. I really don't know if they eat tobacco plants, but they eat alot of stuff around here.

I see where you have a grow log and will follow your progress. Hope your grow season goes well.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:25 am 

imo...

Corn strips many nutrients from the soil.
Tomatoes are in the same family as tobacco.
Legumes draw nitrogen from the air and deposit it in nodules within the plant's root system.
The tassle-frass from corn is Not beneficial to tobacco leaf.

What strain and quantity of each, for personal use, will only be learned through experience.
Of course guidelines are beneficial !

Have fun !
You shall learn a lot !!
rc