How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Simple Lieberman Machine
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:10 pm 

It's been rainy and humid the last few weeks here in VA so I left my leaf from last year outside in the sun room to bring it up to a usable case.
It turns out I'm pretty rubbish at rolling cigars so I decided it was time a try my hand at making a Lieberman Machine.
I watched a few youtube videos and boiled down the minimum I needed to make one.

This is what I came up with:
a piece of wood, a piece of cloth (leather in this case), and a roller.

Here is a video of me using it. Hope you enjoy it!
https://youtu.be/pU9emhKo7pE

Here are a few cigars that came from the machine I made. Not too shabby if I do say so myself :)

Post subject: Re: My Simple Lieberman Machine
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:41 pm 

JAK, ! The sticks look great! I love to see simple things like that! You know that Leiberman is a mans name, not a roller? He just made that one for cigars. Big tobacco put out the hump back along time ago. All rollers are based around the round stick -be it cigarette or dog turd monster cigars. All Native... (Round) GREAT JOB ON SIMPLE!!!!
BigBonner has one that He will send for You to try, and see if You want it, or build one Your self or just buy.!! Great Man!!! I am building a second "BUNCHER" now.( Note "I said-BUNCHER)! The One posted here in the pics. gallery---, (To see) and one now in the make. I made one last winter that will roll a punch, torpedo and a tree stick! I made it for Arizona Dave (AZD) Pics. posted (Gift)- ( Thanks Rusty for the pic. help!) MAD OSHEA IS PROUD OF YOU JAK!!! On the cigar side, I should chalenge, to a build. The first prize would be???? First and last sticks to try, and best of show, all hand made with what ever it takes to make it to, May be just Make a cool Buncher? No compatition? Cool is cool! Thanks for Your bunch instructions and vids. Keep up the good work! Mad-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:26 am 

Nice video :D !! I have a question about your machine,, Was there a certain formula for how much slack you gave the leather? I guess what I mean is, would you need to leave more slack to roll a thicker cigar?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:04 am 

JAK, I had so much fun watching Your youtube vidio, I had to watch it one more time HA-Ha. I do have a question Sir? What is Sunflower water? I use tapioca and pectin on my sticks. I have never heard of sunflower water.
cobs4me, The tarps on the rollers can be taken in for big sticks and let out for the little boys.If you look at the side when the leaf is loaded, You can see how big the ring size is as You roll. If You push forward at the same time and twist the dowel backwards, it will roll a tighter stick. You can also go to the oriental food store and get a bambo spring roll- roller for a few bucks also. No stick or pipe needed to roll with. Just tack the one side toward you down is all. I would love to see more of Your buncher builds JAK! I have alot of different builds like that scattered here and there. It is to fun building different kinds of bunchers. A cool tuck cutter would be neat to see also... Hint- hint. Mad-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:44 am 

Nice vid, jak !

Soon, you will be able to 'moonlight in miami' :-)

Have you watched the video of a fellow named Tim rolling cigars? It would give you a bit more insight into rolling them, and how he keeps the components in case according to their function. Tociadore? is that what he is?

You'll soon be rolling very nice stogies!
rc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:44 pm 

Thanks guys!
Yeah i didnt really know what i was doing. Lots of adjusting the straps. Left the one closer to the camera with more slack but needed a bigger roller. Otherwise there was too much slack behind the roller and the tobacco would be loose... i suppose i coulda made cigars 2 inches thick to fill in the slack..... hmmmmmm

Also thanks for watching and commenting :)

Oh and i said "flour and water solution" , Mad. Sorrry about the mubling. Haha I was on hydrocodone. Im recovering from a surgury at the moment. Had bladdar surgury on monday wooo!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:07 am 

Gosh!

I hope you heal well, and quickly !
rc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:23 am 

Thanks RC! I'm doing pretty well. Hard to sit with an incision down there... hard to walk too. I'm finding a good balance of walkin' and sittin' haha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:50 pm 

Jak, if you are struggling for leaf to learn a new process, Larry would be glad to help, for a reasonable price.
He's got a tad more than he could could handle at the moment pictured...

Real nice fellow to talk with...
rc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:52 am 

I smoked... well tried to smoke one of those cigars this weekend. I think it leaked air through the side too much to smoke, but the flavor was all there. Rather nice actually. Mild but still had all the elements to a cigar that I would expect. Only got through the first half inch. I'll have another go with a different stick later. Maybe I can re-wrap the the first one...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:11 am 

Jak, is it possible to put a patch inside the binder, or maybe even the wrapper, when you are rolling up a stogie?
...perhaps a small scrap of very thin leaf could be kept close at hand, for a fix?

I could never bring myself to scrap a leaf that had a very small hole, in the wrong place...
rc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:16 pm 

rustycase wrote:
Jak, if you are struggling for leaf to learn a new process, Larry would be glad to help, for a reasonable price.
He's got a tad more than he could could handle at the moment pictured...

Real nice fellow to talk with...
rc

Is this the Larry that was on the list a few years back? I am old but I think he was from TN.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:41 pm 

Yah, that's the Big Bonner, livin the life of a farmer... always something that needs attention..
He's still around.
Up one row, and back again, as always.
rc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:51 pm 

JAK, that was a really interesting video and I can see how it could be a lot of fun. Have you tried pectin instead of the flour and water? It holds pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:50 am 

yeah I gotta get my hands on some of that... haha