How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: How I roll cigars 101...........
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:17 am 

Good job! 1/2 inch sounds like the perfect size.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:11 pm 

I finally rolled two practice cigars from leaf I purchased. Here are some pictures.

This is the leaf I bought. It's burley tobacco with a medium flavor.

Just a picture of my workspace :)

I used two different molds. I think I like the size of the smaller one.

Finally in honor of Nate's guide I created my rendition.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:57 pm 

They look great.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:04 am 

Do the majority of people here use glue on the wrapper?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:45 am 

Short answer: not usually.

I often roll a single cigar to smoke immediately. When I do that, the filler is in low case, the binder in medium case, and the wrapper in high case. For the wrapper, I lay a paper towel on the counter, mist the paper towel, place the wrapper on it (folded, if necessary), cover it with another paper towel and mist that, then cover it with a piece of plastic (a gallon Ziplock). The wrapper gently hydrates over about 1 to 3 hours.

After rolling the accordio-pleated filler in the binder, I keep it rolled with gentle finger pressure, while applying the wrapper. Once the wrapper is on, I cut the head, then moisten just the head by rotating it in my mouth--in the direction of the wrap. A little smearing with a fingertip keeps the cigar permanently wrapped while it dries for 15 minutes. It is now smokable.

For cigars that others will smoke, I follow the same procedure, substituting a dab of fruit pectin to the head of the wrapper. You can also use gum Arabic, instead of pectin, but it is only available in a 1 pound bag of powder (~$18). For particularly stubborn binders, I will sometimes apply a dab of pectin at the head.

I have acquired two Camacho cigar molds, but I've had difficulty making a bound bunch that's just the right ring gauge and density to press well. So I usually just roll my cigars free hand. Molds insure consistency, which is silly for cigars for personal use, though the hallmark of a commercial product.

For my personal consumption, I've found that if I roll a batch of cigars, then I smoke too many. So I usually just roll one at a time, on demand. I would say that my first 30 to 50 cigars were practice quality. After that, most of my cigars were nice enough to show off, drew well, and burned well.

The most important factor in my rolling a successful cigar is assuring that the binder and especially the wrapper are in sufficient case to stretch smooth as they are being wrapped. When I'm in too big a hurry, I end up tearing the wrapper.

In selecting a leaf strip for a binder or wrapper, I hold it up to the light, to see if there are any pinholes. A few pinholes in the binder and wrapper are not usually a problem, if they don't overlap. If the final cigar ends up with an air leak at one spot, I cut a small patch of cased leaf with no vein, moisten the leaking surface and the patch, then smooth the patch over the leak. (You can use pectin on it, but just moisture will keep it in place until the cigar ash reaches that point.) If the whole cigar is leaky, I either apply an additional wrapper (which will not burn well) or simply unroll it and start over.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:13 pm 

for the first 5 cigars I rolled, I used a water/flour slurry to 'glue' the binder and wrapper to the core. If you let it sit for a bit before using, you'll build longer protein chains and get a stronger glue. using a 'pizza dough' or high-gluten flour will aid in bonding. The only down side I have seen so far is that if you get any on the outside of the cigar, it dries white/chalky or white/hard and can look like mold (for many people looks are everything!). I didn't mind. My guest smokers knew that it was glue and didn't mind and we enjoyed our stoges! Now, I just need to grow ENOUGH leaf to satisfy my lust for cigars :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:03 pm 

Short of Ebay, any active links for buying cigar molds? CI, and JR's Don't seem to sell the many more, and a lot of the links from previous posts are dead. Thanks to any and all who answer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:50 pm 

Try here:

http://www.otoaocigars.com/

You really don't need a mold to roll excellent cigars with ease.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:28 am 

Trying making a sugar paste or buy some pectin where you get canning supplies from.
Tandy Leather sells gum tragacanth.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:35 pm 

my first batch. Ugly but smoke well and taste great. random blendings of Burley red tips, one sucker, and bright leaf. Got one cigar that almost had a chocolate taste :shock:
thanx for all the help in growing rolling etc really thankful for the community here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:40 pm 

Those look nice. Good size and if they smoke great who cares what they look like.

I had some three year old leaf hanging so I decided to make a couple cigars out of some of it. I took to much so I made a mini off of the scraps. I only had one leaf that was wrapper quality but oh well. I'm interested in seeing how these smoke. They smell nice but I might let them sit a year in the humidor before trying.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:54 am 

Wow guess what I,ll be doin this winter. Got a shed load of leaf. 1st make some molds while it cures.
Awesome tutorial. Am inspired
Thanx

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:36 pm 

Man, it has been a while, Guess that's what twins and a career can do. I gotta go through this thing thing and make some corrections to this thing typing wise. Sorry guys for the rough reading, I must have been drinking the home brew when I wrote this. Glad you people could use this, and am honored in some of your work. For what it is worth this is the the method I still use. Mods feel free to grab the Photobucket files and upload as needed. No time anymore.....

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:13 pm 

WoW !

GREAT to see you posting, Nate!
Gosh!
:-)

cigar molds.... I've heard of people using pvc pipe, slit lengthwise... then clamp it or wrap with string or rubber bands???

imo.... it might be easier to use a router bit (if u got the router!) for making mold halves... than using a spade bit down through a length of wood, then cutting in two...

DS... so u roll your stogies 'en tubar' ? with the accordion pleated filler??? or shredded filler?

rc

Twins!
Wow!
Congratulations!!! x2 :-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:10 pm 

what happened to this thread?

how did it just fade away???

nate1778 is 'the man', here, for rolling cigars... he was first with a good presentation.

I'm using american spirit papaers for my ciggies, these days, since I wore out my T2, twice!
The metal inside it just won't hold up to continuous use and some of the holes inside get elongated with wear and tear, so I don't use the tubes any longer...

I really should make a switch to a 'gentleman's smoke' and learn how to roll cigars...
rc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next