How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: How I roll cigars 101...........
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:53 am 

And how is pectin used? Mix proportions? heating? how long does it last?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:26 am 

Just mix some pectin with warm-to-hot water until it's about as thick as Elmer's glue. Brush on with your fingers or a small paint brush.

I have idea how long it keeps once mixed up. It's so cheap that I just throw it away when I'm done using it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:27 pm 

This is a really great post. Thank you again. My crop has only been hanging in the garage since, ohhh, early November I think. I picked at intervals over four or five weeks. Now with some serious snow on the ground I might be looking for something to do, and have been eye balling the two ropes full of hands hanging all the way across my garage. I just might roll up one press full, and keep reading this post over and over so hopefully I can work from memory when I begin. I'm getting excited about trying this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:32 pm 

I purchased some today. Will try it this weekend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:37 pm 

Nooooooooooo! don't throw away any of the mixed pectin. I keep it in a small tupperware and after I'm done rolling, I place it in the fridge. Next time i need it just put more water and remix. I just saved you $0.02.

My humble $0.02

Gabo 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:56 pm 

gorthous wrote:
Nooooooooooo! don't throw away any of the mixed pectin. I keep it in a small tupperware and after I'm done rolling, I place it in the fridge. Next time i need it just put more water and remix. I just saved you $0.02.

My humble $0.02

Gabo 8)

Two cents saved is two cents earned! LOL! You guys are something else!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:22 pm 

Frugal not cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:53 pm 

great job i have just rolled around six cigars with this method and they tasted great :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:43 pm 

As everyone knows, I let the garden go after multiple falling plant episodes. Anyway, while mowing I spied some Pennsylvania Red leaves that had color cured and dried right on the plants. Today I pulled some off, put them in a bag with a small piece of wet paper towel to gain a higher state of case. I rolled them into a very rough looking cigar. It turned out to be a loosely rolled 34'ish cigar 7" long. It actually was quite enjoyable to smoke. Only the faintest of faint occasional whiffs of grassiness. All around, the finest smoke I've had from home grown (including those I actually did process some what properly of last years crop).

I'll definitely grow it next year if I grow anything.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:56 am 

Yankee

" If I grow anything "

Are ya thinking about not growing anymore baccy ? Or has that move got you in limbo ? Sounds like your starting to at least figure out what strains you like to smoke .

That seems to be one of the biggies figuring out just what to grow .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:17 pm 

yup, might not be here to plant and don't know if land will be available in the event i'm not.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:30 am 

Lonnie_in_Tenn wrote:
That seems to be one of the biggies figuring out just what to grow .

Lonnie

I couldn't find the right thread for this but I thought it was in flavoring tobacco. You mentioned having the right blend so that you would not need flavorings. Have you decided on a blend yet? I use three flavors but would be happy using none if I could find the right mix.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:30 am 

I rolled 5 cigars last night. I only grew TN 86 burley last year, so it's all that variety. I used suckers/smallish leaves for the filler, pulling the rib out first. Just made a pile to the size I wanted, rolled it in my hands a bit to get it uniform, and wrapped with some nicer large leave halves. For "glue" I figured I'd use the original stuff--spit! No molds, so I didn't use one (though I've found split bamboo/rubberbands work). Came out looking like something Clint Eastwood would be chompin on, and I'm cool with that.

Put them on the fireplace mantel to dry overnight, and enjoyed one with my coffee. I"m quite pleased with the product and the price! My burley never fully matured, so it's sweetish and quite to my liking. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:12 pm 

Wow, That was REALLY GOOD!!

Could you just give me a hint on how did you ferment these leaves?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:34 pm 

I seemed to have only gotten pics of the 'scrap' cigar - one I made from scrappy pieces of the others.

The former/pressblock forms a core of 1/2" wide *(~32 ring) and about 5" long. These seem to be the perfect cigars for me, given the smaller amount of tobacco I have to work with and I don't want to throw away a 1" long 3/4" nub of my homegrown every time I finish a churchill :)

I made 5x pressblocks using mated-pairs of 1" wide x 3/4" thick white oak blocks , clamped and bored with 1/2" paddle bit. I will probably re-make 1/2 of the mold to proper fit 'into' the bottom-half as opposed to mating flush. I didn't put them into a larger bank of blocks yet, so i was clamping one block & making one cigar at a time. Using the form/former is really so much easier than completely free-handing it. More consistent product.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next