How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: How I roll cigars 101...........
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:52 pm 

This guy sells molds.

http://www.otoaocigars.com/main.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:25 pm 

What an awesome article! :!: Some of the reason I started a pipe is because you have to commit a certain amount of time once lighting a stogie. I found myself buying cigars longer than I usually smoked and cutting them in half. That was when I discovered what you spoke of when saying they "Unravel" if wrapped the wrong way. The foot end of the cut would unwrap, so I learned to cut them in the cellophane wrapper and wetting the top of the foot end to hold it together.

Last year I was away from home working for a month and found a cigar store right across the street. I found some sticks rolled in Tenn. that were So ugly I figured they had to taste good. Boy was I wrong. Yours look machine made compared to those. Thanks for the story. I'm sure I will try rolling now when my first crop is ready, and save all the trimmings for my pipes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:16 pm 

I watched a show on TV once and they said the rolling guy used common pectin to hold them together. The same stuff used for jelly and jams.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:50 am 

following Nates article, I rolled my first stick a few days ago using the antique torpedo shape mold I got on ebay. I had just enough baccy to make one. The wrapper I made from a still partial green leaf. It was easy to roll being soft and pliable. The next day it was mottled yellow and brown, and today it's almost all brown and dry. It's very tempting to light it up, but will probably save it almost forever. I must say, I impressed myself with the finished product. Next year, I plan to plant a larger crop. I hardly pay any attention to the veggies in the garden any more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:07 pm 

zombiewriter wrote:
I watched a show on TV once and they said the rolling guy used common pectin to hold them together. The same stuff used for jelly and jams.

Pectin works pretty well. I've taken a teaspoon, mixed with water and microwaved it in 10 second intervals until it is clear and thick.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:52 am 

Have you ever pressed your wrap leaves in a plant press? When i was in college we did herbarium collections and we dried specimens that way....after a few weeks the tree leaves were dry and really flat! Do you think you could do that and then when you get ready to roll just add moisture to them in a bag like you suggested?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:55 pm 

Very Impressed. I have booked marked your thread and plan on looking back at it. My wife and I are moving out of the city to the country so I literally ordered 4 packs of cigar seeds to get going indoors this winter, and plant outdoors in the spring. wish me luck! thanks for the great advice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:37 am 

Great thread !! I think i will use a very similar tech to start.
Thanx
CM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:48 pm 

I knew that someone asked about Cigar Molds and it may have been you.

I was at jrcigars.com (Statsville, NC store)and they had cigar molds..wooden ones for $29.95 but I forget how many cigars they held. Maybe 10 or 12? Not a cigar maker myself but thought this might help someone looking for Cigar molds. They don't list everything they have on their site but if you go to their site you will see a toll free number and can call and ask for free. I hope this is of some help to some of you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:05 pm 

my first few cigars looked like the backwoods cigars, or what Clint Eastwood smoked, LOL actualy still do but they smoke good so im not so worried about the looks its the smoking and enjoyment that makes the difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:32 pm 

informative post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:11 pm 

freedom_sailer wrote:
my first few cigars looked like the backwoods cigars, or what Clint Eastwood smoked, LOL actualy still do but they smoke good so im not so worried about the looks its the smoking and enjoyment that makes the difference.

LOL! Freedom, my first attempt at rolling cigars turned out like yours and Clint Eastwoods too. Actually, I prefer that look. I have been able to get them smoother since my first attempts but I care more about the smoke and the draw and the taste than the looks of my cigar. Same as you mentioned above. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:24 pm 

All right. What do you use for adhesive?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:17 am 

Pectin (in your grocery near the canning supplies) or flour and water paste.

Neither leave any taste anf both work well in keeping the cigar from un-rolling.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:50 am 

Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next