How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mold on cigars
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:57 pm 

After harvesting my tobacco last year around august/september time, not being to justify a kiln, i took the advice of letting the leaves hang for around a year. I took them down this month and rolled up a coupla cigars and let them dry for a coupla days before placing them in an open zip lock bag with a damp tissue piece. Humidity has been at 76% average. Higher than the recommended 70-73 but im still waiting for my Propylene Glycol to arrive so i can build my humidor. After a few days the cigars showed some slow growth of white mould. Wipped them off and left them at normal room conditions. My guess is the leaves have not really aged as they were hanging because of RH being only in the 50s. Will they age well once ive got my humidor set up? Any other tips, suggestions or explanations?

AK

Post subject: Re: Mold on cigars
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:32 pm 

AK, organic material will grow mold under moist conditions no matter what it's age.
Keep it at a level under what mold flourishes at.
Best
rc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:06 am 

Rusty is right mold grows with higher humidity.

To save those cigars one of the cigar web sites recommended wiping the mold of with a cloth damped with vinegar and water 1/2 &1/2.

It said if wiped and left to dry the mold is gone and no vinegar after taste also. light vinegar to kill mold and dry so vinegar smell and taste goes away. Lee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:04 am 

Was thinking about this Later and Remembered that I used a citric acid to kill some mold once. An easy source of citric acid is a lemon lime flavor-aid or kool aid. Mix as directions No sugar. to get a lighter citric acid add more water to what you are using. Lightly dampen cloth, wipe and let dry. Citric acid is used in some dishwashers ,and as cleaner for water softeners. lee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:18 am 

smbdyiam wrote:
Was thinking about this Later and Remembered that I used a citric acid to kill some mold once. An easy source of citric acid is a lemon lime flavor-aid or kool aid. Mix as directions No sugar. to get a lighter citric acid add more water to what you are using. Lightly dampen cloth, wipe and let dry. Citric acid is used in some dishwashers ,and as cleaner for water softeners. lee

Ill consider that. Have you ever tried freezing? Theres mixed opinions regarding that.

AK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:26 am 

freezing retards some mold and kills some . But it does not kill all types mold and it does not remove the mold . Spores go dormant and then are active when warmed up. Lee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:07 am 

I tried freezing tricks a few times, for different things, including some mold on a small baggie of leaf...
Pretty much as Lee has said.

I've also used citric acid in water on mold that occurred in my crockpot kiln. It worked good!

There is a food product available cheaply called 'Sour Salt'. It's a kosher Passover product, and is pretty much straight citric acid in powdered form. A buck for a 6oz jar of the stuff. Spray it on the mold and it's gone!

...could also try hydrogen peroxide from your medicine cabinet...

All told, the vinegar might be easiest fix!
rc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:11 am 

I wouldn't even worry with waiting for propylene glycol for the humidor. Plain distilled water works fine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:03 am 

MisterAK47 wrote:
After harvesting my tobacco last year around august/september time, not being to justify a kiln, i took the advice of letting the leaves hang for around a year. I took them down this month and rolled up a coupla cigars and let them dry for a coupla days before placing them in an open zip lock bag with a damp tissue piece. Humidity has been at 76% average. Higher than the recommended 70-73 but im still waiting for my Propylene Glycol to arrive so i can build my humidor. After a few days the cigars showed some slow growth of white mould. Wipped them off and left them at normal room conditions. My guess is the leaves have not really aged as they were hanging because of RH being only in the 50s. Will they age well once ive got my humidor set up? Any other tips, suggestions or explanations?

AK
to get rid of the mold use the citric acid or vinegar method listed above. If you are trying to raise humidity then need to know where? Is it a kiln or a humidor? these are not the same. one the kiln is used to age the tobacco quickly. In the kiln I would use the handy dandy Dr. Bob's crock pot method the Humidor is used to store small amounts of tobacco for short periods..I Never ever add water straight to tobacco. Like a road sign for mold attack here. I would add an apple slice or piece of potato to an OPEN ZIP lock bag and place it next to tobacco in a closed container. Card board box, A 5 gal plastic bucket with a towel across top .
I have been trying to figure where The Propylene Glycol comes in / it is usally added to tobacco to keep it in case when making cigarettes or cigars not for storage

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:31 pm 

It sounds like mold it the root of your problem. I use my Baccy for making chew and making a few plug style Baccy rolls. This is similar to making and storing a cigar. When I get the leaves too wet in making them payable again it will develop mold. I start in stages. I wet them a little w spray bottle them cover them in a plastic container or plastic bag. Then I slowly add moisture in controllable amounts until the leaves are playable.

Then...I make my cigar or plug Baccy (minimizing any sugars due to sugar promotes mold) I them place my art work infrint of my dehumidifier. This purposely pulls any and all excess moisture that would lead to molding out of the Baccy.

-works for me...but I'm game for better ideas!