How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First attempt rolling cigars
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:30 pm 

Thought I'd share my first attempt at rolling cigars, many thanks to the people on here and the wealth of information that this forum provides, particularly Nate1778 for this post: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=65

Leaves are all Havana which were originally bought from the coffinnails website, these are 3rd generation and seem to have adapted to my climate pretty well, even after a lot of frosts they were still powering along until i cut them all down a week ago (middle of winter here). Anyway, Using the method Nate1778 described in his post I managed to roll these, now the sizes are all over the place and I didn't have a mould, what I used instead was thick paper - Once the binder leaf was secured I rolled each cigar tightly in a sheet of paper, put a bit of sticky tape on it to stop it from unrolling and left it for 1 - 6 hours where it was warm and dry. Then i unrolled the paper and wrapped my fairly decent looking cigar, capped it and then put them all in a sealed container with a desiccant for about a week before allowing them to gradually return to their proper humidity levels. My leaves haven't been kilned, just stored in a box with fluctuating humidity and temp for around 4 - 5 months. Every month or so I take the 'hands' out and air them out but that's it. Considering it's my first try and I'm using unfermented leaf I'm pretty damn happy with the results, they smoke on par with mid-level commercial cigars (around $8 each here for a corona size) and are definitely better than the cheap supermarket kind we've no doubt all tried before. Apart from a couple being too loose they burn and draw quite well :)

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/7849/nhwi.jpg

Post subject: Re: First attempt rolling cigars
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:35 pm 

Gryphon, they look great!

I'll bet they smoke good, too!!!
Nice job.
rc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:05 am 

Thanks rc! :)

Had one of the small, fat ones last night and the darker leaves seem to give them quite a chocolatey flavor, Kind of wishing more of my leaves come out like that. I'm about half way through the batch in the photo and i've noticed that the ones with larger ring gauges generally aren't burning as well as the slim ones, the inside 'core' burns down a lot faster than the wrapper and binder, does anyone know what could be causing this? It was most noticeable on the one i had last night, the inside had burned a good inch ahead of the wrapper by the time i got near the end. I'm wondering if it has to do with using leaves that are too thick for my wrapper? Or am I just rolling the filler too loose?

Also would any members here be interested in a seed trade? I have 1/4 of a ziplock sandwich bag of these havana seeds if anyone has some cigarette strains? I'm in Australia BTW.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:22 pm 

There are a number of factors that influence how the cigar burns.

1. Case of the leaf when rolling:
    • filler: low case--dry, but does not crumble
    • binder: medium case--dry and flexible
    • wrapper: high case--moist, flexible and stretchy
  2. burn character of the binder and wrapper: if either of these is inherently slow-burning, then the wrapper will not burn well. A good burning binder will usually help a slow burning wrapper.
  3. too much chloride in the fertilizer: reduces the burn properties of the leaf
  4. inadequately aged leaf: excess albuminous proteins and carbohydrates in the lamina burn poorly
  5. filler too loose: burns down the center--the entire cigar should be quite firm, with a little give, and the binder and wrapper must be snug and without air leaks
  6. smoking too fast: the burn of the wrapper can't keep up

The most common problem with early cigars is that the moisture content of the leaf is too high. Thick, dark, oily leaf from high on the stalk usually burns well.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:19 pm 

Thanks Bob! I'll try rolling another half dozen in the next few days.My binder and filler were both in medium case, I think they had plenty of time to dry out and then to stabilise again but I'll keep the filler in low case this time around and also use more filler since i'm thinking that could be the main reason for it, the ones that have done it the worst also tended to get rather soft when nearing the half way mark.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:21 am 

My strongest recommendation for learning cigar rolling is to roll one cigar at a time, then smoke it before rolling the next. The immediate feedback will improve the learning curve.

One other mention: don't use too much glue, since it adds to the burden of combustion. I usually use no glue, since I roll one to smoke one.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:09 pm 

Those look amazing! Great job! I'm growing primarily for pipe tobacco, but plan to try some cigars as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:00 am 

impressive! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:43 am 

A little late to this party, but First attempt rolling cigars seemed like the right topic.
I purchased some leaves from leafonly and rolled a few. In a word, fail. The draw as terrible. In fact when I cut them open for a post mortem the filler looks to have bonded into chunks and, I found some mold.
I surmise that;
I bunched my filler too tightly and I rolled them too tightly.
In my attempt to bring to the right case, I over saturated both the filler and the binder.

I didn't know you could wrap cigars too tightly. Is that my problem or, moisture or something completely different?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:09 pm 

Hello Warrencarp,

Sounds like too much moisture is the problem given the bonding and mold. Too tight bunching is going to happen if the filler is wet. Try getting your filler into a state where you can just get each piece of leaf rolled into a tube without it cracking, if the binder is a little too wet it shouldn't matter much so long as it still has a bit of elasticity. Once the binder is on I wrap my cigars in a strip of newspaper to even them up a bit - fix the end of the paper strip with tape - then leave them in a warm place for a couple of hours to let them firm up before wrapping. In addition to giving a more even looking cigar the paper has the advantage of allowing me to check the draw of each stick without having to put my mouth on the binder. If the draw is too tight, unroll the binder and re-apply. Once I've got the wrapper on I leave them out for a couple of weeks to dry gently prior to putting them in the humidor for a couple of months before smoking.

Have a look around the forum, there are an awful lot of folk who know a lot more about rolling cigars than I ever will.

J.T.