How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Virginia Gold cigars
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:20 pm 

I just ordered some virginia gold seeds, nothing else for now as this is my first time growing tobacco. Virginia gold doesn't seem to be very popular for cigars but has anyone tried it? And maybe have comments on it? I just want to know what I'll be smoking. Thanks!

The Truth

Post subject: Re: Virginia Gold cigars
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:38 am 

Virginia Gold is a cigarette tobacco. I've tried making cigars with it. It does not have the classic "cigar taste" but it wasn't bad either
It's not too late, why not try to get some cigar seeds?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:48 am 

I might get some cigar seeds, thanks. Right now it doesn't really matter to me cigarette or cigar, I just wanted to grow some and thought I might try making cigars. But I will look into some other strains :)

The Truth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:46 am 

Hi and welcome to the forum .. one tread about virginia cigars is this one viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4756

not sure if it is what your looking for but i havent found to much about virginia cigars since it's hardly used as a cigar tobacco..

Good Luck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:47 pm 

If you would like some burley seeds, maybe a few plants for blending just pm me with your address and I will send you some. I have gold seal, gold burley and I could send some yellow twist bud to help you with your grow. Lakota

The Truth wrote:
I might get some cigar seeds, thanks. Right now it doesn't really matter to me cigarette or cigar, I just wanted to grow some and thought I might try making cigars. But I will look into some other strains :)

The Truth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:15 pm 

Thanks Lakota! :)

The Truth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:54 pm 

I sent yellow twist bud, gold seal and gold dollar. These should give you something to blend with. Good luck with the grow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:14 pm 

Thanks again I really appreciate it. I can pay you back in seeds this fall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:43 am 

I have plenty of seeds, if you feel like giving some away I am sure someone new will be able to use them. Russ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:06 am 

Maybe I'm a philistine but i've been rolling small cigars out of the virginia gold I grew this year and I can't get enough of them! At this rate I won't have enough to keep me in cigarettes for the year.

I cured the lazy way and threaded leaves on opened out metal coat hangers and hung them in the green house. They cured all sorts of colours and as they dried out I destemmed them and stuffed them in a zip lock bag which sat in the hot water cupboard for about a month.

When I make a cigar I pick the nicest looking leaf for a wrapper, a tough looking one for binder and I make sure to put at least three different colours together for filler (the tiny leaves cured almost black and bigger ones ranged from tan to very pale green)

I'm loving my virginia cigars. Best I remember smoking bar the occasional cuban that came my way. Better than the dutch machine rolled rubbish that is all I can mostly afford these days anyway.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:00 am 

Tim-
Sounds good to me! Even though it's not commonly accepted as a cigar tobacco, I still want to try it at least once. I'll probably end up using my virginia for cigarettes and maybe blending some into cigars.

Ray

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:40 pm 

Sounds like the VG will work fine for you...
It's all a matter of personal taste.

If I were to grow for ceegars I would use Little Dutch and Havana for filler.
... and maybe silkleaf for a wrapper?
Florida Sumatra was also looking pretty good, too.

Good luck with your project.
rc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:02 pm 

Thegedle wrote:
Maybe I'm a philistine but i've been rolling small cigars out of the virginia gold I grew this year and I can't get enough of them! At this rate I won't have enough to keep me in cigarettes for the year.

I cured the lazy way and threaded leaves on opened out metal coat hangers and hung them in the green house. They cured all sorts of colours and as they dried out I destemmed them and stuffed them in a zip lock bag which sat in the hot water cupboard for about a month.

When I make a cigar I pick the nicest looking leaf for a wrapper, a tough looking one for binder and I make sure to put at least three different colours together for filler (the tiny leaves cured almost black and bigger ones ranged from tan to very pale green)

I'm loving my virginia cigars. Best I remember smoking bar the occasional cuban that came my way. Better than the dutch machine rolled rubbish that is all I can mostly afford these days anyway.

Tim

I want to try rolling my own cigars using virginia tobacco and i wonderd if you add any flavourings to the tobacco ?

Last year witch was my first season i got just a few plants and what i did was to add Sambuca and i got a really nice pipe tobacco witc ofcause will be one of the things i want to make this year aswell unless i end up like you and make ciggars of it all :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:47 pm 

Stig wrote:
I want to try rolling my own cigars using virginia tobacco and i wonderd if you add any flavourings to the tobacco ?

Last year witch was my first season i got just a few plants and what i did was to add Sambuca and i got a really nice pipe tobacco witc ofcause will be one of the things i want to make this year aswell unless i end up like you and make ciggars of it all :D

I dont plan on adding any flavorings, I was only going to add some coffee grounds to the environment while my tobacco ages, to get a little coffee flavor. However, I never said I was going to use it all for cigars. I am actually carving a pipe right now and plan to use some of it for that and some for cigarettes :)

The Truth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:25 pm 

Hi there guys and 'girls ? '
I'm a first timer to your site, I'm a kiwi living down under, and a great place it is too.

this year ' jan - march ' I grew V & burley exactly what strain ? no idea sorry. I left picking the crop till very late as I got tangled up with other projects ' you know how it goes ' , anyway I just strung the leaves up for a couple of weeks in a tin shed, the leaf was pretty dry , but the main rib still had moisture in it, I got a glass bottle and crushed the rib flat, which seemed to push out some moisture, then I stacked the leaf end for end, making sure the moisture content was enough to make the leaf flexible and placed the stack wrapped in a plastic bag. I made sure that the leaf was compressed enough so that there was good contact. I did pull the stack apart a few times and rebuilt it, like splitting a pack of cards.

I have made some cigars, and it really is a beauty smoke! very mild and satisfying, BUT it doesn't really have that cigar taste and aroma.

OK.......... this is where I need lot's of help and advise, can you point me in the right direction for leaf type / seed ....Ta

robbie