How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Severe Storms
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:21 am 

Here in South Africa we dont get storms like in the USA, but last night was a big one, on our terms, 50mm (2 inches) of rain and hail ( luckely small) in about an hour with high winds.

Point I want to make is that different variety`s of tobacco get through these storms better than others. The oriental tobacco took a real hammering, lots more holes and broken leaves than the Penn Red, Flor Sumatra, Little Dutch, Perrique or Conn Broadleaf to name a few. ( all tobacco courtesy of Bob Deluxstogie)

I noticed when the tobacco was growing that certain variety`s looked more robust than others, orientals more "lanky" than the others, and I realy saw it after the storm.

As my tobacco is not mature enough to reap ( topping stadium 10% early bud) I will leave them and hopefully most of them will recover and that the storms will leave me alone.

Post subject: Re: Severe Storms
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:42 am 

Here in South West Uk, we had plenty of rain and high winds this past summer so I can feel for you. Despite this, I got plenty of tobacco leaves, although quite late in the season. Tobacco plants from my 1st year experience seem to be quite hardy and tolerate a wide range of conditions. Your plants I expect will recover and its a good idea to pick the bottom leaves when they have reached a good size. You will know if the leaves are ready, as they snap off. Harvesting the botton leaves reduces the cost of what is left if weather/things go against you.

Post subject: Re: Severe Storms
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:16 am 

Used to live in the UK for 3 years, Midlands, Litchfield. Know the weather, that is severe to SA standards. Been back April for my sons wedding, man I freezed my @#$% off.
Good luck with your tobacco.