How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cigars won't burn
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:36 pm 

Has anyone ever ran into this? The homemade cigars you made will not stay lit? I have to constantly keep lighting it. I don't know if I'm rolling them wrong, they are too resinated, or too moist, or something else? I let them sit out of the humidor for two days drying out and they seemed to be almost to a crisp to the touch on the outside of the cigar, not sure about the inside. Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Cigars won't burn
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:54 am 

In my limited experience it could be a couple of things. First, I've found some strains to be great burners and others not so great. Two that seem to consistently burn great, stay lit for a long time, and produce good quantities of smoke are Wisconsin Seedleaf and Havana Long Red Leaf.

Also, I believe a leaf that's picked too early can end up not burning well. Same with a leaf that's not been fermented long/hot enough. Also, as you probably know the leaves in the upper part of the plant (ligero) are naturally more resinous and don't burn as well, but are full of flavor, which is why they're placed in the core of the cigar, the hottest burning area.

Obviously having too moist a cigar can do it too. Make sure it's at about 65% - 70% moisture at most. If you rolled it kinda wet you may have to let it sit several weeks in the humidor. My very first cigars suffered from being too wet, I had a terrible time until I discovered they burned and tasted a lot better when properly dried.

Last but not least is it could be too tighty bunched. And all of the above factors come into play. To me this is the trickiest part of rolling a cigar. For example I can roll a very tight cigar with Wisconsin Seedleaf and it will still draw and burn well, but other strains may need a much looser roll to get the same draw or burn.

It's all part of experimentation. For what it's worth I've smoked a fair number of expensive factory cigars that would tend to go out a lot, and many more that had a too-tight of a draw. So even the big boys have issues sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:28 am 

Oblofusc wrote:
For what it's worth I've smoked a fair number of expensive factory cigars that would tend to go out a lot, and many more that had a too-tight of a draw. So even the big boys have issues sometimes.

This is true. 1 out of 10 factory cigars that i've smoked didn't burn well.
It makes you wonder, if professionals with so much experience have troubles, how difficult is for me to prepare leaves or roll a cigar that burns well ! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:36 pm 

Well after letting the cigars dry box for a week or two, then put them in the humidor again to moisten up a bit, they seem to smoke better now. Not as good as you would want but most seem to stay lit as long as you are actively puffing it.

Now I have another issue. A few I have smoked have tasted good, but then others have tasted like dung with a side of bitterness. Any thoughts on that?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:54 am 

Are all the cigars made from the same kind of leaves?
Maybe some didn't kiln as well as others. Or maybe some were near to some strange smell and absorbed it.