How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My first cigars...and some questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:19 pm 

Ok, this is my attempt of rolling my first 4 cigars...(actually not the first ones, I've rolled 2 before that, but were really ugly... :lol: )
I used a DIY chavetta knife made from a saw (instructions found here in this forum).Also a piece of copper pipe used to cut the cup of the cigar and guar gum as a glue.
All the leaves-wrapper,binder,filler- are from Maryland tobacco, because as a newbie and first year in tobacco growing was the only seed i had .Next year i'll grow different varieties, trying to make a better blend.
The leaves were kilned for 5-6 weeks.But, after i rolled those cigars, discovered that wouldn' burn! Try to fire one and smoke, but had a tiny draw and extinguishes
immediatelly...
I had bought some famous havana cigars for reference, and seems to me that my cigars have more moist and my tobacco wasn't so tight like the professional ones!
When i rolled them, my filler leaves were almost completely dry, and binder-wrapper had a little moist just to be elastic for rolling.
Where is the mistake?

Post subject: Re: My first cigars...and some questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:16 pm 

Im new to this also but they look pretty good to me. I have my filler almost at the breaking stage when I gather it and form it. Then I roll it with my binder leaf that is barely in case. Then I lightly roll it in a strip of newspaper and let it rest for at least an hour, but usually over night. After they rest then I roll them with my wrapper leaf that is nice and plyble. If I try to pull the wrapper leaf too tight I will sometimes have a cigar that is hard to draw. Then i put it in my humidor for a couple days to rest again and get an even humidity. Really bud just keep at it. My first 15-30 were all over the place. One would be too loose the next too tight. It just comes down to practice, practice, and more practice. For a couple weeks me and YouTube were great pals. :lol: It's sounds like you're on the right track though, just keep it up and you'll get...eventually!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:24 am 

Newbie i'm also in youtube trying to copy the technique of rolling. My leaves are about in the same condition as yours and also use the trick with the strip of paper (don't have a cigar mold). I left my cigars in a wooden humidor about 1 week.Still no draw. Is it the rolling or the humidity? And what do you do if a cigar has no draw? Can you remake it or just throw it away?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:36 am 

If your filler was dry, almost crumbly then you are on the right track. Try letting your cigars set out for a week. Another possibility is your fertilizer. If you used a fertilzer with a chloride (such as potassium chloride) and you layed it down heavy then no matter what you do your tobacco will never burn. Too much chlorides prevents combustion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:25 am 

I too am a novice. I rolled about 25 cigars last year. As Newbie said, they were all over the place. It sounds like your cigars are not too wet but if they are, sitting in the humidor will eventually solve that issue. You may be able to tell if they are too wet by observing if the humidity in your humidor goes up when you put a couple of your rolled cigars in.

My guess is that they are too tight. Many of mine were too tight. I could smoke some of them by using a stiff piece of wire and carefully pushing it through the cigar from head to foot. Be careful not to poke through the side of the cigar. I would do this a few times to create paths for the smoke and improve the draw. It would also help them stay lit.

Bruce.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:43 am 

I have re-rolled some. I moist my wrapper and unroll. Try rolling a couple at what you think is pretty loose then slowly increasing the pressure with each cigar until you get where you want it. Keep in mind you can have a good feeling cigar then mess it up when you put your wrapper on too tight. Also make sure that your leaf is straight and not bent because if you bend it before putting your binder on it will prevent draw. I try drawing it after I put the binder on also.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:35 am 

Thanks for the answers!

Jitterbugdude: My filler was almost as you said, and used horse manure (composted) for fertilizer. Don't know if contains chlorides. The water in my area is a little salty and maybe cause a trouble.

Bruce: Nice trick with the wire, i'll try it! As for the hygrometer in the humidor still shows 65-70% after put my cigars in there. I's a cheap hygrometer though, so don't know if its reliable...

Newbie: My filler leaves are straight, and i think i do a loose rolling with the binder. Compared to professional cigars, mine have much more space for the smoke to flow.See pictures below

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:57 pm 

Well everything from the pics looks good. For your fist runs they look pretty dad gum good. Try putting one on your dash board in the sun for a few hours. If it is too damp this will dry it out pretty fast and you should be able to draw it. If it smokes you know you need to just leave them in the humidor a few weeks to allow the excess to dry out of it. If that doesn't work I'm at a loss cause that cigar looks like it should smoke! Let me know how it goes, good luck.
Don

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:18 am 

I'll do the sun-dry and rest them for 1-2 weeks.Hopefully to come back with good news. Thanks Don!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:07 pm 

You could try putting them in the microwave for ten seconds to draw the water out of it then put in then toss them in the oven for 10 minutes and repeat for awhile. Then leave them in your humidor for a few weeks. I had the same problem.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:13 am 

Wedal2, did you solve the problem by drying them?

I also tried to smoke a cigarette made from the same leaves. I dried them a little in the oven, cut them in thin strips with a cutter, rolled in a cigarette paper but still the cigarette wasn't burning!

Yesterday tried to burn a single leaf...looked dry and crispy to me, but didn't burn very nice!
It was turned black with black ash, and had some blisters during the burning! Is it moist? Or the leaves haven't cured well?

I also think what Jitterbugdude said about chloride. The watering of the plants was with city water and maybe has some chloride in it... If so, the leaves will never burn?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:27 am 

Yeah I'm curious as well. Did the microwave trick help the cigars? Were you able to smoke them after the fact?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:53 am 

hi
tobacco that doesn't burn ? sounds like fi it is in cigars could be the same as in cigerettes. Try this link and take notes lots of info here . I think the citric acid maybe something to try again. citric acid is used to clean water softners. used in dish washers added to dishwasher soaps. and used to change PH in some mash . find in lowes with softners and at wallyworld with dish soaps.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3400&start=0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:47 pm 

Thanks smbdyiam for the link, i haven't read this thread and has a lot of information!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:33 pm 

Nice cigars! I hope I can roll some like that :shock: No input from me, sorry I'm a newb at this. Just wanted to say that.