How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This year's journey
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:27 pm 

Here's a bunch of pics of my grow ops. Many are with comments to help explain what is shown and give tips for others following the same path. Many questions I see here frequently are answered (at least my answers). Just want to share my info for the good of the order. I started growing tobacco in 2009 and every year I learn a lot and this year has been the best so far. Much of the info I got right here, the rest from disasters and experiments from previous years. I am happy to say that unlike 2009 and 2010, where I lost most leaf to bugs/mold/improper fertilizer/pathetic kilns/etc., I feel like I've turned the corner and have gotten some out-of-this-world leaf and smoked the best cigars I've ever smoked from the 2011 crop, and (fingers crossed) this year's leaf ought to be even better.

http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff419/Tektremis/2012%20Tobacco/

Post subject: Re: This year's journey
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:31 am 

Some nice looking pics!
How much leaf do you put in your "freezer"?

Randy B

Post subject: Re: This year's journey
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:46 am 

What I do is this: when a batch of leaf is color cured I hang it on tbe porch overnight so it gets into high case. In early am I bunch it into hands, then put it in ziploc "big bags" and seal it and put two to three of these into a larger "big bag" so it's about the size of a pillow. My big chest freezer will hold about three of these comfortably. I still use my original small chest freezer kiln too, which holds one more. This way there is no waiting for free space. Previous years this was a bottleneck that caused months of delay. When inside the kilns I make sure there' s plenty of air around the bags to ensure even heating.

Every 5 days or so I remove all the tobacco & shake it out and rehydrate as necessary (very little as the bags keep humidity loss to a minimum). As Deluxestogie does, I leave everything in for 30-32 days. Temps fluctuate between 110F and 133F.

All I can tell you is I have done this and it has worked for me, and is far easier and more reliable than lots of other things I've tried. I do this exclusively for cigar tobacco. ll leaf as it becomes ready ut as mucwill fit