How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quality wrapper leaves
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:16 am 

Hi all,

I have been growing in Malaysia for around 2 years now. Where I am is very hot and humid with alot of rainfall daily.
I can produce quite a good quality filler leaf, but am having issues growing a quality thin wrapper leaf with fine veins.

Is growing plants under clothing the only way of producing quality wrapper leaves?

Anybody had any success growing wrapper leaves that are of a commercial quality?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Quality wrapper leaves
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:35 am 

The only way I know of to produce tissue-thin wrapper leaf is in shade (either shade cloth, or constant cloudy conditions). Connecticut Broadleaf, on the other hand, is always sun-grown for wrapper. It produces an excellent EMS to Maduro wrapper, but is always thicker than Deli leaf or Connecticut Shade leaf. The CT Broadleaf also has thicker veins. But many of the finest dark cigars are wrapped with CT Broadleaf.

I have also grown Florida Sumatra in full sun. It produces a lovely medium-brown wrapper, though still thicker than the shade-grown counterparts.

My suggestion is to learn to roll cigars well using heavier, sun-grown wrappers. The labor of shade growing is considerable for a small grower.

You may find that you can purchase good, thin wrapper leaf from Indonesia (Besuki, TBN, VBN, etc.) at a reasonable cost, from Perantara (the state tobacco monopoly).

Bob

Post subject: Re: Quality wrapper leaves
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:58 pm 

Andy, I think you'll have problems without protection from the daily rain.

The Florida Sumatra strain also did very well for me, here in Kalifornia... but it is arid here, and a totally different environment, so all bets are off!

Good luck
rc