How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tobacco stress
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:50 am 

Spoke to an comercial virginia tobacco farmer here in South Africa, cultivating tobacco under centre pivot, he told me, before planting he gets his soil to "field capacity"? with water, after planting the tobacco he sprays his herbicide, water it once to wash the herbicide in, and then leave the plants with no water for up to 8 weeks, calling it the "stress period", reacons it promotes better root developement. Only after 7 to 8 weeks he will start irrigating. What is the toughts on this?

Post subject: Re: Tobacco stress
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:21 pm 

Typically, in my locale, I add 1 cup (4 ounces) of water to each seedling at the time of transplanting, then do not water them unless the circumstances are unusually hot and dry. It all depends on your climate and soil moisture.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:16 pm 

If he leaves em with no water for 8 weeks he'll be stressed to find em.I think we may have found Lonnie :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:14 pm 

taxedenough wrote:
If he leaves em with no water for 8 weeks he'll be stressed to find em.I think we may have found Lonnie :lol:

eheheh!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:32 pm 

Big thing is the watering before he plants, MUST get the land wet before planting, Field capacity?? This guy is one of the top tobacco farmers in this area. Claims it will give the plants a much stronger root system.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:46 am 

on a similar note I had way too much rain the first 30 days the tobacco was in the ground this year. My crop was poor. I blamed the excess water for causing the roots to develop.
go figure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:35 pm 

I would love to see this grower leave tobacco unwatered here for 8 weeks. there are days it gets stressed without water for 8 hours. There is much more information that is relevant to this practice. soil conditions. how wet is it in the first place. how humid is it. how much moisture does the soil retain for that 8 weeks.

Due to the water issue here I am very observant of the tobacco and how watering effects it. I will agree that wet soil stops the plants growth. I have no idea why. the plant just does not like wet feet. When the soil is damp and temperatures hit about 90 degrees or so tobacco will take off like a weed. For us one of the biggest skill we have had to develop is how to water the tobacco just enough to minimize the stunting effect it has on the plant. Just a bit to much and you can loose the majority of a days growth. I prefer to see the tobacco under watered rather than over watered. it will snap back very quickly from mild wilting. wet soil not so much.