How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trying to narrow down the strains to grow this year.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:41 pm 

I'm definitely going to grow Fla. Sumatra, Havana Long Red Leaf, Wisconsin Seed Leaf, and a little Keller Brown. I'm very happy with these.

I did NOT like Small Stalk Black Mammoth, and Madole was just bland and a bit off-tasting to me. Also, I did not really care for the taste of Havana 503b, or Hungarian Smozi. Glessnor was OK, so was H142, and Zimmer Spanish was really good tasting but did not burn real well. I did grow a little Penn. Red and seemed pretty good too but also not a great burner.

I want to try several other strains but I really want to try to narrow them down to two or three of the below.

The candidates are:

Little Dutch
Lancaster Seed Leaf
Penn. Red Leaf
Long Red (apparently different from Havana Long Red Leaf)
Conn. Seed Leaf
Zimmer Spanish

Which 3 would you pick and why?

Post subject: Re: Trying to narrow down the strains to grow this year.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:34 am 

Hi Oblofusc,
you had no replies so I thought I would give you my take on this.
1. You growing for cigs, cigars, snuff or what? From your list it looked like cigars.
2. I have not grown any those varieties, but would like to try a couple.
3. I grow for cigs and cigars and have other varieties like ytb, Lonnie's havanna, silk leaf, egro, and Tenn Red.

Taste as you know depends on many factors and one tobacco grown in one part of the country may not end up tasting as it does in another. So plant a few of them all and next year you might have a better idea on which one to concentrate on. Maybe someone else can give you more advice on those varieties.

Post subject: Re: Trying to narrow down the strains to grow this year.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:04 am 

I was pleased with the results of Little Dutch and PA Red for cigars. My Zimmer Spanish and Comstock Spanish appeared similar while growing, but the Comstock produced a much higher percentage of intact leaves, and seemed to be significantly less prone to flea beatle holes than the Zimmer. The Comstock also seemed to cure more easily. Both my Zimmer Spanish and Comstock Spanish generally burned well.

Bob