How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TOTAL SUCCESS
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:34 pm 

Last weekend I finally sorted all my fermented & aged leaf and made a dedicated effort to roll some blends.

I am absolutely blown away about how GOOD my cigars are. Light but full of hearty flavor. No film or unpleasant aftereffect in the mouth like you can get with many store bought cigars. Most are dry in the sense a good dry wine is dry. Good classic tobacco taste but many strains I've grown have their own distinct and excellent flavor profiles which I've never tasted before in any store bought cigar.

I really don't know if I will ever go back to store bought cigars. These things are incredible on every level.

Finally, after YEARS of toil and maintenance and preparation, a GLORIOUS payoff.

Here's a few robustos I rolled last night. My wrapper is sun grown so it's not real pretty, but they smoke great.

Post subject: Re: TOTAL SUCCESS
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:35 pm 

Here's a link to a complete photolog of my 2011 Grow Ops from seed to final cigars.

http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff419/Tektremis/2011%20Tobacco/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:00 am 

Excellent looking stogies O.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:50 am 

Nice work. Don't roll too many at once. Each cigar will guide you in rolling the next.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:59 am 

Impressive! :D Hope I will have some tobacco ready soon, really want to roll some robustos myself :wink:

BTW Oblofusc, where do you live? Looks like your plants grew quite fast, at least compared to mine!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:12 pm 

Nice pics, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:18 pm 

They look like good wrappers to me. Sungrown leaf make a decent smoking wrapper. Good job.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:56 am 

Your photolog is fantastic. I would recommend it to anyone starting out.

I have a suggestion for you when rolling cigars. I always take my binder leaves and wrapper leaves and just before I use them I roll them with a rolling pin. This tends to crush and smooth out some of the veins and will give you a smoother finish.

I also have a question. You mention in your photo captions that some of the varieties are similar in flavor while other types were significantly different. I would be very interested in your observations. It would save me a lot of experimenting. I think your tasting notes would be very helpful to many members here.

Bruce.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:38 am 

Those stogies look amazing! I think there are times during these long hard first months of growing, that us new guys need these little tidbits of motivation. I regret that I didn't include any true cigar varieties in my grow this year. I was focused on cigarettes, which I've since quit. I now only smoke pipes and cigars. Maybe I can figure out a good burley cigar. Lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:15 am 

That is awesome. Not many people can say they have accomplished what you have. Great job.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:02 pm 

+1 on what lovemesomebakkee said!

The labor equity alone is amazing! Expense wise, Just as impressive. Anyone who wishes to aspire to greatness should take note. Thanks for the photo link.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:50 pm 

VERY cool. You are doing an amazing job. I am only just beginning my journey into cigars, and regrettably didn't include any true cigar varieties into my grow.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:35 pm 

SO MANY INFORMATION :shock: . Nicely put together though sir. Very helpful.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:21 pm 

Gosh, you guys are doing the right thing! Dredging up all those old threads will bring lots of information back to light!

HTGT really is an excellent resource!
We've had so many great members contribute over the years, helping others.

I did go over to the oblo photobucket pages...
Gosh, imagine how good his plants might have done if he had only taken them out of those buckets and allowed them to grow in the ground! Wow!

rc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:00 pm 

It's been a long time since I posted here ... thought I'd check in.

My 2013 grow year was fantastic. I ended up with a lot of good leaf, lost only a little to bugs, storms & mold compared to years previous. After sweating (heated chest freezer method) the leaf was all sorted, center veins stripped out, put in low case, bagged up, and has been sitting up in my garage for a year - even survived a move across town. About three weeks ago I started sorting everything, and rolling.

I'm not even sure how many I've rolled so far. Maybe 180? More? Still not done but raw materials are getting close. I've got over 20 different blends; I think I grew 12 different strains. Almost endless variations.

Tested some. Only two strains of the several new ones I grew I did not really care for (Pennsylvania Broad Leaf and Catterton). All the rest are great, each with their peculiar characteristics. Absolutely fantastic smokes! I'm like a kid in a candy store over here. I've even used some of my big bag of scraps and trimmings as filler, and THOSE are fantastic in their own right! Sweet, nutty, smooth, creamy, full of flavor. Just crazy good stuff.

What a labor all of this has been, especially given that I have a full time day job and a family, but man the payoff is finally here and it is good. I did not grow in 2014 due to the move and I'm not sure I will be able to grow in 2015, so I'm going to have to make these cigars last me.

I'll try to post some pics in the next few days.