How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making Cigars
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:38 am 

Hey everyone. Could someone please explain the entire process to me so I have a good understanding of the steps to make cigars. I haven't seemed to have found a post that actually explains the process from start to finish. Below is the information I have found so far though.

1. Grow your plants.
2. Harvest the leaves from the bottom to the top as they yellow.
3. Hang the harvest leaves until they turn brown and are dry.

What is after this though? Are there anymore steps before you get into the rolling of cigars like in the "How I roll cigars 101" thread? Thanks to anyone who helps.

Post subject: Re: Making Cigars
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:17 am 

1. grow plants, this one is probably going to be a little more difficult for you than for me. you need to get them grown with minimal leaf damage.
2. Harvest the leaves from the bottom to the top as they yellow. You are not going to want your leaves to turn yellow. For cigars there is a proper age to harvest the leaves and it is while they are still green. there are several things to look for that indicate a leaf is "ripe" they will start to turn yellow or develop yellow spots. They will develop a texture to the leaf that is commonly called alligator skin. they will start getting wavy or wrinkly along the edges and or they will begin to get sticky. Any given leaf may show any one or all of the above signs. When it comes to cigar leaf you want to harvest it while it is still green and not showing much if any signs of ripenes. Others can expend in more detail on that issue.
3. Hang the harvest leaves until they turn brown and are dry. Yes, but because you are picking the leaves at a more green condition the turning brown (curing) will be more difficult.

One additional step will be aging of the leaf. This is different and actually happens after the leaf has turned brown but is still moist. the flavor of the leaf will continue to change and get better with time.

Post subject: Re: Making Cigars
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:27 pm 

So you let it age before you roll your cigars or can you roll your cigars and then let them age? Also I don't think the growing will be hard at all for me. I am a fairly successful gardener in many varieties of plants. I just never gave tobacco a go.