How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cigar Mold
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:03 pm 

Hi, I plan on rolling my own cigars in 2012,
does anyone have a cheap cigar mold that they are willing to sell to me?

Anywhere from 15-35 dollars would be great, I tried looking for plastic ones but couldn't find any.
Additional Info of what I am looking for: Ring size anywhere from 28-32
Length any where from 4(1/2)" --- 5"

Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Cigar Mold
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:40 am 

They are on Ebay quite often, usually in the $20.00-$40.00 dollar range. Be aware that most sellers do not list the ring gauge, probably because they do not know. I can tell you though that the cigar molds that hold 20 cigars are very small both in ring gauge and length. There are several cigar companies that sell them. Otoao Cigars is one. The prices have really gone up!

Randy B

http://www.otoaocigars.com/moldsandtools.htm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:35 pm 

Diced,
I would encourage you--implore you, yea plead--that you begin by rolling cigars entirely by hand, and only one at a time. By that, I mean rolling a cigar, then smoking it, before you roll the next cigar. That will dramatically speed the learning cycle, and give you the requisite touch needed for creating a properly drawing bulk that can be pressed effectively in a mold. Otherwise, if you begin by using a mold, you will likely find that you have batches of 10 cigars that won't draw properly.

I've rolled close to 1000 cigars, nearly all of them entirely by hand, and one at a time. (I have a nice toro-size cigar mold from the Camacho factory. It currently collects dust.) The first 30 or so were pretty sketchy in their construction, and fairly ugly. Up to about cigar 100, they were ugly. Beyond 100, I found I could usually roll a nice cigar of any size and many shapes, but I'm still not at 100%--I'm still learning.

Cigar half-leaf, used for filler, wants to naturally compress into a taper. Nearly all of my cigars taper to a somewhat smaller ring size toward the head. Most cigar molds don't do that, and require either truncating leaf at either end of the cigar, or carefully redistributing the leaf width within the bulk. I am slowly working at rolling perfectos, which require a change in wrap orientation at both the foot and head.

I would make this recommendation, regardless of your cigar-making method: Don't plan to show them off to friends until you've made your first 50 cigars--maybe even a hundred. Some folks are quicker (like Chicken), but most of us need to learn the skill over a span of time. Cigar factories typically allow a new roller to work through about 1000 cigars prior to granting them the task of making even the simplest of first-line production cigar shapes.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:48 am 

Thanks for the responses!

I see your reasoning bob, and accept it.
Well I guess I will be rolling my first 150 cigars by hand before using a mold!
I will look at the website, but for a newbie like me 100 bucks seems a little bit.... :oops:

How did you know I wanted to impress my friends?! Are you psychic?!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:14 pm 

What I read was that Bob has a toro sized cigar mold he's not using. Maybe he'll make you a deal. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:21 pm 

Ahh, I see....
Maybe he will... haa
The way I see it, a toro sized one is too big brother, but will consider aha!