How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Golden Virginia Cigars?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:42 am 

Can i make cigars with golden virginia leaves?

What type should i make my cigars with?
i only have black mammoth, burley hampton and Golden virginia

and could i use any part of the golden virginia for the cigars?

Post subject: Re: Golden Virginia Cigars?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:34 pm 

Of course you can !
...if it suits your tastes...
Try blending a percentage with your other filler, and makes adjustments from that point.
Best
rc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:32 pm 

I don't know what you like. My vg needed to be mixed with Turkish or it would be too weak for me. Burley reminds me of a harsh cigar. I smoke cigs..m

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:02 am 

so the quality of the Virginia leaves will be good enough for filler , binder and wrapper?? just wondering since Virginia tobacco is the only thing i have going this year and it would be nice to make my own cigars

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:05 am 

Stig, I tried to make one from Virginia (just one, because I only had a few small leaves so far). What can I say, it was nothing like I've ever smoked, and definitly nothing similar to cuban cigars, cheap (Jose L. Piedra) or expensive (Cohiba). :)

That said, it was very nice. Full mouth of flavour, and nice burn. So yes, try to make some, and there is a good chance you will like them. I know I do :)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:10 am 

Andrej i sure will give it a try sounds like something i might enjoy alot :D there were someone mention that virginia could be difficult to use as a wrapper how is your experience ??

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:36 am 

Well, I didn't manage to straighten the leaves enough to make nice wrappers, they were pretty rough. They were more like...double binders I guess. Yes, looked pretty bad compared to store bought cigars, but I dont care to be honest. :D The taste was nice, and draw was perfect.. what more can I wish from my first cigar? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:55 am 

Virginia varieties tend to produce air-cured leaf that is acidic in taste (typical of cigarettes), whereas cigar varieties, if fully aged or kilned, will be alkaline. This makes a significant difference in what you taste when you roll a cigar. You may enjoy the Virginia taste in a cigar, but as Andrej points out, it doesn't taste like a traditional cigar.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:44 pm 

Andrej wrote:
Well, I didn't manage to straighten the leaves enough to make nice wrappers, they were pretty rough. They were more like...double binders I guess. Yes, looked pretty bad compared to store bought cigars, but I dont care to be honest. :D The taste was nice, and draw was perfect.. what more can I wish from my first cigar? :wink:

I totaly agree the important things are the taste and draw ..

the thing is that my cigars are somthing i made myself and i have been trough the prosses from seed to the finished product and that is more important than to get em to look like somthing i got from a store :D

btw did you compar it to other pure virginia cigars ?? i was thinking that even if it didn't look like any other cigars it might have hade the perfect look for a pure virginia :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:25 pm 

Quote:
the thing is that my cigars are somthing i made myself and i have been trough the prosses from seed to the finished product and that is more important than to get em to look like somthing i got from a store :D

True, without use of any pesticides, only organic fertilizers. Its as pure as it gets :)

Quote:
btw did you compar it to other pure virginia cigars ?? i was thinking that even if it didn't look like any other cigars it might have hade the perfect look for a pure virginia :wink:

Hehe, yeah, maybe you're right :D Some folks up here could probably come out with ways to make them look nice, but then again, thats not really an issue for me. Actually, they look kind of cool the way they are :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:35 pm 

deluxestogie wrote:
Virginia varieties tend to produce air-cured leaf that is acidic in taste (typical of cigarettes), whereas cigar varieties, if fully aged or kilned, will be alkaline. This makes a significant difference in what you taste when you roll a cigar. You may enjoy the Virginia taste in a cigar, but as Andrej points out, it doesn't taste like a traditional cigar.

Bob

Thanks for the info Bob .. To be honest i'm not really into cigars that much but i tought it might be fun to try roll my own just like i do with my ciggs .. btw do you think 33 years experience with handrolling would help me learn the art of cigar rolling ??

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:47 pm 

Andrej wrote:
True, without use of any pesticides, only organic fertilizers. Its as pure as it gets :)

that's for sure , you also have controll over additives witch in my opinion is the more dangerous part of smoking ..

Quote:
Hehe, yeah, maybe you're right :D Some folks up here could probably come out with ways to make them look nice, but then again, thats not really an issue for me. Actually, they look kind of cool the way they are :wink:

Make sure to take som pictures the next time you roll one .. it would be nice to see how it looks :D

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:31 am 

Stig,
It took me about 30 cigars before I could reliably roll them in a manner that draws well. When I say 30, I mean that I smoked each one immediately after rolling it, for direct feedback. None of this ten-at-a-time approach.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:10 am 

deluxestogie wrote:
Stig,
It took me about 30 cigars before I could reliably roll them in a manner that draws well. When I say 30, I mean that I smoked each one immediately after rolling it, for direct feedback. None of this ten-at-a-time approach.

Bob

i will do what i do with my ciggs one at a time :D what i was thinking about if 33 years experience rolling my own would give me an adavantage when i start to roll my own cigars ??