How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More Insight on Cigar Rolling
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:24 am 

Last night I rolled a dozen cigars, which is actually my largest batch yet. Took me almost three hours. Not ready to quit my day job yet!

Two days ahead of time, I sprayed the bone dry, hanging tobacco with water, then carefully encased it in plastic bags so the surface water could migrate throughout the bunches. I suspended the tobacco on coat hangers then covered the bottom with a large market bag and the straps over the top. Then I used a smaller bag with a hole in the bottom that was inverted over the top of the hanger. After a day I thought that the tobacco was too moist, I removed the bags or opened them. I think it went the other way and went too dry.

I ended up with too much resistance from the leaves. As I gathered the tobacco and rolled it in the wrapper it tended to crack and crumble. Consequently, I rolled the cigars more loose. Now I think they are too loose and the cigars will tend to burn too quickly.

However, there were a couple points of success.

**The pectin as a cigar adhesive works like a charm. Just gradually warm a teaspoon or so of powdered pectin in cool water and stir to keep smooth. Mine actually has a little peach jam as well.

**In an effort to make my cigar lengths more uniform, I made a mark on my work board so I can cut my tobacco filler leaves a uniform length. I line up the leaves with the edge of the board and cut at the mark. Then when I roll, I carefully line up the cut edges in my hand. When I finish each cigar, I only trim off a small bit. Some cigar makers trim off what looks like a third or more of each cigar that they roll. I am way more thrifty!

**I got an Alaskan Ulu knife as a Christmas gift. It works great for trimming stems and most of the cigar making tasks.
http://www.ulu.com

**I recommend that you regularly clean your working board with a straight edge dough cutter. My board gets sticky with adhesive and bits of leaves. Here is a good example:
http://69.94.30.225/store/media/DoughScraperMetal.jpg
I don't know how you can have a kitchen without one of these and not be quarantined by the health department.

Best to all!

Leigh M
Portland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:10 pm 

Man good for you and keep it up, I have found that the best time to roll a cigar for me is after the rain has fallen for a day and the air is full of humidity. I keep my stash hanging in a non climate controlled lean-to attached to my garage. Any who, after a good rain the air is thick and the leaves are just moist enough to be pliable. Your absolutely right though once the tobacco has lost that "Pliability" your done till it re-moistens. I had a couple " to loose cigars" and they were worthless. Burned a hole right down the middle and would go out almost immediately. Post some pics when you can......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:18 pm 

Nate1778 wrote:
Man good for you and keep it up, I have found that the best time to roll a cigar for me is after the rain has fallen for a day and the air is full of humidity. I keep my stash hanging in a non climate controlled lean-to attached to my garage. Any who, after a good rain the air is thick and the leaves are just moist enough to be pliable. Your absolutely right though once the tobacco has lost that "Pliability" your done till it re-moistens. I had a couple " to loose cigars" and they were worthless. Burned a hole right down the middle and would go out almost immediately. Post some pics when you can......

That is the best method to get leaves up to case. Nothing better than Mother Nature doing some of the work for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:24 pm 

That's a great trick -- except here, we get 36 inches of rain per year at 1/8 in per day. You do the arithmetic. If I leave the tobacco hanging in a non-heated space it goes moldy. You should have seen me a month ago when I discovered the mold. I washed much of my tobacco in a mild bleach solution. I think I have handled those leaves so much that I can recognize each one by the pattern of the veins.

However, I do have some nails up under the eaves on my garage. I will put some out there and see how it goes.

Leigh M
Portland, Orygone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:43 pm 

Just be careful they don't rust on the tobacco. Galvanized usually works best, but as long as your tobacco doesn’t touch the nails you’ll be fine.

Post subject: Re: More Insight on Cigar Rolling
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:50 pm 

Hey leigh,
Thanks for the web site of that knife. I'm definately getting one of those.

And I read in one of those little booklets that you should spray hot water on the leaves and seal them in a bag to let the steam soften the leaves. I think they say to actually boil the water.
what ya think? I'm gonna try it. i have enough leaf ,soooo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:23 pm 

Pizza cutter will work. I read in the Ultimate Cigar Book that some big cigar manufacturers are using them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:10 pm 

This one didn't turn out too badly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:38 am 

or a big rolling fabric cutter kinda looks like a pizza cutter but is sharp to cut fabric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:45 am 

Nice cigar, good ash. Way to go. :D