How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rope or twist, before or after kilning/sweating?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:34 am 

Hello, long time reader, first time poster.

I was wanting to make some rope tobacco, or twist tobacco(for smoking), and was wondering if I should tie up the leaves before or after I throw them in the kiln(or sweat them in a ice box cooler)?

I am assuming that it will taste much better if I kiln it, but I was wondering if it was traditionally tied right after the leaves had colour cured, or after storage/aging? The pressure of the rope/twist helping to ferment the leaves and age them.

I will probably try both methods anyway. Kilned rope for smoking right away and color cured rope for long term aging.

Alternately, could leaves be roped up when they have green stems still and have it sort of like a perique?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Rope or twist, before or after kilning/sweating?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:29 am 

mm, it would be best if you would re-read a bunch of the posts in the processing tobacco threads. All the info is there, and you become familiar with a bunch of different things along the way, because our threads are not strictly structured.
That being said, sweating is generally a process for newly harvested leaf to get a quick jump on breaking down the leaf before setting up in a lengthy curing process.
Curing is facilitating a slow death of the leaf.
Making rope and twists is a method for individual storage and transport of personal amounts of baccy for the end user, or to hand over that small amount to the end user.
Aging any tobacco in a proper environment will improve it, making it milder and smoother.
The cure process is not complete until all the green is gone from the leaf.
A kiln is a controlled environment enhancement on the air-cure method.
Flue curing is an intense enhancement on every lesser method, designed pretty much to quickly change, and set, sugars within strains meant for cigarette use primarily.
I would not make rope, or twists, until the tobacco is fully cured. The rope method, I suppose, could be used to ferment the tobacco over a period of time. There's a youtube vid of some old English fellow showing how to make rope, stretching a canvas wrapped bunch of leaf between a couple posts, sitting on the rope to tighten it, then wrapping a line firmly around the batch of leaf to compress it. There's a link around here, somewhere, or you can just search for it on the youtube.
Good luck
rc

I just searched up the link and posted it in my grow log so it will be ez for me to find again. The old fellow calls it a perique.

Post subject: Re: Rope or twist, before or after kilning/sweating?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:10 am 

G'day, I made some twists from relatively fresh colour cured leaf which were made maybe a couple months after turning brown. My Yellow Leaf Orinoco twists came out a lot better than the Virginia twists I made and that's after the Va Twist had been sitting around for 6 months while the Orinoco was smoked much sooner after I twisted it. So I reckon you'd be better off using kilned or aged leaf to make them if planning on smoking them soon.

I did have some mould issues with storing them in a zip lock bag unopened for several weeks. The bane of home grown I guess.

It is a good way to make a smoke for a pipe. I'll be trying again towards the end of the year to see how a more mature leaf works.

Have fun and good luck.