How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: few simple questions about tobacco. please help~!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:38 am 

Hi! please if any body could answer shortly (so You don`t waste Your time on me) would be nice. Thank You before already!
>I am growing tobacco for first year and there is quite a lot of information online which sometimes is opposite to each other. Here are so many threads that i get lost so::
-----------------questions-------------------------

Assuming that i need highest nicotine content - do i have to harvest leaves when they are turning green but still yellow, when they are completely yellow or even turning white?
>I now experimentally harvested all 3 types of leaves and smoked them after one month already (yea i know too early) and i did not feel much of a difference.

After curing and drying - can i leave tobacco in open boxes with holes in quite sunny but dry and warm room? Will not sun degrade nicotine?
>Have lots of tobacco so i can`t roll it all up into ciggies at once, but day to day i roll some. However i still have a lots of tobacco to harvest and new study year soon starts so i guess i will have to leave boxes of tobacco in my room to wait til i grind and roll them.

I want to get half of leaves dark brown and half of leaves bright. What should i change in curing to do that? I separated green leaves from yellow and white ones but i do not see that affecting color of product.
>After curing few of tobacco leaves were dark brown and with great coffee alike taste, some were light with milder, a bit grassy taste but i still like them.

Thank You and good luck!
Have a great smoke :)

Post subject: Re: few simple questions about tobacco. please help~!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:46 am 

Welcome, Suicide? Calm down .. Somebody will be along shortly to help! BTW your not a waste of time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:52 am 

butwiper wrote:
Welcome, Suicide? Calm down .. Somebody will be along shortly to help! BTW your not a waste of time.

Oh, thanks! =D I hope i will be able to help out others as well, but as i am newbie in growing then it could be after some time from now :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:55 pm 

As far as some curing dark and some curing light? I have found for me it is the different types of tobacco not the way they were cured. i even had a few that cured RED, got it from SC Yankee.
As far as putting tobacco in boxes AFTER CURING I do it all time , I do not cut holes in cardboard boxes,Just fold the tops in so it is closed up but not sealed . i want to check on it about once a month a box 18" x !8" x 18 " works good . It breathes just right and has been an easy way to age and store tobacco. Lee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:49 pm 

smbdyiam wrote:
As far as some curing dark and some curing light? I have found for me it is the different types of tobacco not the way they were cured. i even had a few that cured RED, got it from SC Yankee.
As far as putting tobacco in boxes AFTER CURING I do it all time , I do not cut holes in cardboard boxes,Just fold the tops in so it is closed up but not sealed . i want to check on it about once a month a box 18" x !8" x 18 " works good . It breathes just right and has been an easy way to age and store tobacco. Lee

Thanks mate! Why some leaves i got are brown and some are bright i have no hella idea, but i like that, and they all are from same tobacco seed. By Your suggestion im pulling those boxes out of dark dirty closet into my room :D as i understood should be fine.

Thank You and good luck`.!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:33 pm 

Howdy fella, welcome aboard. Lots of helpful folks around here. This is my 1st year growing as well so take anything I say with a grain of salt, I may be totally wrong! :lol:

What kind of tobacco are you growing?

Quote:
Assuming that i need highest nicotine content - do i have to harvest leaves when they are turning green but still yellow, when they are completely yellow or even turning white?

Ripeness of the leave probably affects the nicotine level but also I believe the leaves higher up on the plant are usually higher in nicotine than the lower mudlugs.

Quote:
After curing and drying - can i leave tobacco in open boxes with holes in quite sunny but dry and warm room? Will not sun degrade nicotine?

Cardboard boxes or brown paper bags seem to be the norm for storing tobacco. They both breathe so cutting holes shouldnt be nessessary, just make sure those midribs are "snap like a twig" dry so you dont get mold. And store in a spot that doesnt get very humid so everything stays nice n dry. My closet works fine for me.

Quote:
I want to get half of leaves dark brown and half of leaves bright. What should i change in curing to do that? I separated green leaves from yellow and white ones but i do not see that affecting color of product.

Ive had some do the same thing. I believe I read somewhere that the speed in which the leaf is color cured affects the color. A faster color cure = lighter colored leaf & a slower color cure = a darker leaf......or maybe it's the other way around. Dang, Im gonna have to try to find that info again. Once again the ripeness of the leaf may effect that as well? I dunno.

Well thats the best I can do. Hopefully someone wiser than I will come along and prove me right or wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:28 pm 

Here's the info about the bright/dark color of leaves I was talking about. This was originally posted by Skychaser and reposted by smbdyiam.

"Drying is the step after color curing that kills the leaf and removes the water from it. Once the leaf is colored it may be dried as fast as you want. Drying a leaf quickly will lock in the color and keep bright leafs a bright yellow or light golden brown and also maintains a higher sugar content. Slower drying will give you a darker brown colored leaf. Drying is finished when the main stem of the leaf snaps like a dry twig."

Hope that helps! :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:46 pm 

I did assume that speed of drying could be affecting the color as the leaves which were moist longer got that brown color. Now i keep them hella dry because i am paranoid from mold, but again - somewhere heard that too dry will not age :D oh well, better than mold.

Thanks mate! You chilled my mind and got everything clear for me now :) I do not know actually what tobacco i am growing because pack of seeds i got was in foreign language. I am thinking to buy Havana seeds for next year as i heard those have higher nicotine content.

Good luck`.! :)

Baylor wrote:
Here's the info about the bright/dark color of leaves I was talking about. This was originally posted by Skychaser and reposted by smbdyiam.

"Drying is the step after color curing that kills the leaf and removes the water from it. Once the leaf is colored it may be dried as fast as you want. Drying a leaf quickly will lock in the color and keep bright leafs a bright yellow or light golden brown and also maintains a higher sugar content. Slower drying will give you a darker brown colored leaf. Drying is finished when the main stem of the leaf snaps like a dry twig."

Hope that helps! :D