How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Storing v Aging
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:09 pm 

HeySailor

My tobacco stored just fine without the first smoke molding on me . It was in a semi heavy case ( wet ) and ferminted just fine . I guess it ferminted it sure mellowed down ( burley )quite nice .

However it never did take on a real good tobacco smell like a can of store bought tobacco . Every once and awhile I'd open a bag that had a great tobacco smell but thinking back I think the bag must have had a pin hole or something that permitted the tobacco to dry enough to smell good .

Bob

Yea each to their own to do as they wish but I noticed the samething . Thinking long term storage this year I started drying the stuff much more than I did last year . The first thing I noticed was a nice tobacco smell on all that I have sealed up so far .

With the new dryer approach I now think Alex was absolutly correct and that cardboard boxes in the attic would be a fine way to store it . However around here humidity is so bad it would even absorb to much moisture in my attic .

For my humidity I have to seal it tight to prevent the up take of too much moisture and molding . However I'll dry mine to a very low case from now on for the sake of smelling like tobacco and not some mucky smelling stuff lol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:00 am 

hi
All the post on storage of tobacco are interesting and have many different findings and beliefs. I have followed most and have opionions too. :lol: The number One rule for me is differant places need different processes.
Here I have stored /aged tobacco for a couple years. When I get some different tobacco a little goes off to one side for later useage. The oldest that I have now is some grown in 2008. I got it in 2009.
I have stored tobacco in kiln. at 100º and 50 RH. and in boxes everywhere. Paper bags too.
Only time I got mold was in a walmart bag, when tobacco got to moist. and let set 3 days. wanted to bring up case and got side tracked.
I believe that the best way ( for me) is stored in cardboard boxes in a closset. The temps stay fairly constant between 70º and 90º. I turn on heat below 70º and AC above 90º. The RH stays low. heat dries it in winter and AC takes it out in summer. The times in spring and fall with no heat or AC the RH changes but in a boxe with lid closed ,not sealed , it takes a day or so to get through the box (cardboard absurbs most of it) and by that time it is usally changing lower again. SO it has worked for me and I thought I gave good reasons why it worked .
As for the ageing versus storing I really want it to do both. I have never had enough to worry about storing for 10 years or more . It would last longer than I will. :roll: I am under the opinion that it ages more with some changes in RH and some changes in AIR. the boxes do both. If I ever get enough to think about 4-5 years of storage it will be baled compressed and in boxes in closset. small amounts don't need baled but larger amounts do,just for the space. I keep 4-5 pounds in a box 12"x 12" x8" so 100 pounds would be 20 boxes . That is why I say compressed. for me. Lonnies I could have gotten 4 to 5 times that in one box. So to drop from 20 boxes to 4 is large space saver.
Since the first of this year my wife w/daughter has smoked 9 pounds or 3 pounds per month. so would be about 35-40 pounds a year.(with daughters help sometimes).
One more thing If I leave a orange or basicly any thing set out after 3 days it has mold. My tobacco in same room in a cardboard box has never had mold . So I know the mold is here waiting .
:roll: :roll: But like I said at begining it is where you live. :roll: :lol: Lee

Last edited by smbdyiam on Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:24 pm 

Nicely stated.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:05 am 

That's what I did,
After some time in the "fermentor" and its smell stopped changing, I stripped and packed the leaves all in a brick shaped pile and wrapped it in a surgical gauze. I pressed it by hand and tightened it with a thread. And finally stored it in an old wooden cigar box for next year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:19 am 

Nice thread!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:57 am 

i run mine thru the POWERMATIC shredder, and store it in gallon mason jars,,,,

allthough what aint in the jars, is still hanging in the kiln,

>Image
By chickenhawk434 at 2012-08-23

and that will allow you to smoke for a while before needing to fill the jars back up,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:01 pm 

CHICKEN wrote:
i run mine thru the POWERMATIC shredder, and store it in gallon mason jars,,,,

allthough what aint in the jars, is still hanging in the kiln,
and that will allow you to smoke for a while before needing to fill the jars back up,

It's shredded finely ready to smoke or more grossly cutted?