How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best way to store my tobacco?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:29 pm 

I've had a look at a few topics in this part of the forum and just had a quick question.

is it possible to use a humidifier for cigars to just store my tobacco in?

e.g.
http://www.humidorsonline.co.uk/credo-h ... -5258.html

Holds up 300 cigars, so could hold a fair bit of tobacco?

would that keep it in the best humidity/temp to age and just get better by time?

Thanks for any responses.

Post subject: Re: Best way to store my tobacco?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:15 pm 

I have a very large humidor, and use it to store tobacco leaf. I keep the leaf in closed Ziplock bags. The RH is held at about 60% -- that is where I like to keep cigars. Since polyethylene bags slowly transpire the humidity within, the humidor keeps that above 60%. Because the humidor is large (a converted, antique wash stand) it also serves to buffer any temperature changes. My leaf ages nicely in that environment.

I would definitely keep the leaf below 70% RH, since above that, you risk mold.

An alternative is to get the leaf into low case (dry, but somewhat flexible), then store it in double freezer Ziplocks. It does dry out if the ambient air is dry for a long time, but with the double bags, that happens very, very slowly.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:05 am 

I store in large plastic bins.I've been nibblin at the top two containers :lol:

This is some of last years crop :D

Mark in wi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:21 am 

I've found a simple method for determining RH when storing leaf or processed bacco in ziploc's. I put a humidity guage right in the bag overnight. If it's too low, give it a spritz or to high leave it open for a few hours. Seems to work well, no mold, easy to keep in the 70/70 range and allow the aging process to continue.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:11 pm 

I prefer canning jars. Once cured and fermented, I've been bringing them into low case and slicing into ribbon by hand. I'll then stuff as much of this into a jar as will reasonably fit. I'll note the wieght and year, put the lid on, and forget about it for a while. Please note that I grow for pipe smoking, and homegrown is not my primary consumption (at least not yet). In my mind this is similar to buying and storing tinned pipe tobacco.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:20 pm 

With reference to how I store tobacco, I should point out that I stem the leaf as soon as it has color cured (no stem means less probability of mold in moderate case). The leaf is then carefully laid one-by-one, and folded into a stack that will barely fit into a quart-size freezer Zip lock. This is then placed under my cheese press at 25 to 50 pounds, depending on how tough the leaf variety is, and left overnight. As a result, a full gallon bag of leaf strip now is compressed to the dimensions of a 1/2" thick sandwich, inside the quart bag. It's these small "books" of tobacco that I place into my kiln, so that its roughly 1-1/2 gallon kilning space can simultaneously kiln about 2 pounds of color-cured tobacco strip. Once kilned, it goes into the humidor.

I follow the same process with cigar leaf (CT Broadleaf, FL Sumatra, Comstock Spanish, Zimmer Spanish, Little Dutch, PA Red, Bahía) as well as pipe leaf (Samsun, Bafra, Xanthi Yaka, Smyrna, Izmir Ozbas, Shirazi, Kelly Burley, Hickory Pryor, Perique).

For pipe blends, I do the blending with intact leaf strips. These are rolled into a tight sausage, then ribbon-cut with a chaveta, and are stored thereafter inside the humidor in either a Zip lock bag or a flip-top plastic jar.

My fire-cured leaf is stemmed, firmly pressed, and stored in a large Zip lock in the humidor as a large press-block, then sliced and ribbon-cut on demand, for blending. This allows its smoky aroma to become more uniform, prior to making blending decisions.

Bob