How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bringing to case
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:23 pm 

Hello fellow growers. I usually enjoy answering questions; however I now have a question that I am curious to know the answer too. What's the best way in your experience to bring stored tobacco leaves back to case - from a stiff and crispy state to a durable and flexible one?

Post subject: Re: Bringing to case
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:04 am 

Cameron wrote:
Hello fellow growers. I usually enjoy answering questions; however I now have a question that I am curious to know the answer too. What's the best way in your experience to bring stored tobacco leaves back to case - from a stiff and crispy state to a durable and flexible one?

I'd like to know this also:)
I've been putting them in a gunny sack and putting it back in the curing chamber for twenty four hours, but since I just use them for cigarette tobacco I decided to just spray the dry leaves with distilled water and flavoring and pressing them..
I would like to hear how you guys that have been doing this for a longer time than me as I am a beginner at this stuff! Thanks for asking the question Cameron as I would like to know the best way myself:)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:33 am 

SmokingUSA wrote:
but since I just use them for cigarette tobacco I decided to just spray the dry leaves with distilled water and flavoring

I did the same thing but it just ended up rather soggy. It has now been left in the an open system for 3 days and it is still too wet to smoke. There has to be a better way; perhaps a fogger of some description.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:10 am 

Wolfbrother wrote:
SmokingUSA wrote:
but since I just use them for cigarette tobacco I decided to just spray the dry leaves with distilled water and flavoring

I did the same thing but it just ended up rather soggy. It has now been left in the an open system for 3 days and it is still too wet to smoke. There has to be a better way; perhaps a fogger of some description.

I have a soggy product also, but I use sausage and jerky guns for a press. I've been leaving them out till dryer at room temperature after pressing and the cooking process till dryer and then shredding it and then even leaving the shredded stuff out for two days out in the open and then bagging it up. I'm always about a month ahead at all times so by the time I stuff the cigarettes It should be pretty good.
I would like to hear a not so damp way, but using sausage guns as a press which I really like I don't know if I could convert the method over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:46 pm 

Thanks for your interest in this guys. I think I found "a way" to do it. There might be a better way, but I'll mention the idea for everyone to see.

I decided to put a garbage bag over a tripod (device to set cameras on) to a make a small little "tent" is you wish to call it. Inside is a little steam maker. So far -in the past 1 hour- it seems to be working very well and the leaves are beginning to become flexible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:36 am 

try using a tomato cage instead of your valuable tripod.

Post subject: Re-moisturizing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:17 pm 

I have a video from seedman, I just spray the tobacco with a spray bottle of distilled water(lightly shake off excess water). then i put the leaves in a garbage bag and close it up over night. in the moring they are perfect for my needs...cigars.
If they are still a little brittle, just repeat and check in a few hours.
If they come out a little too moist, let them sit in the open air...they'll dry pretty fast.

Post subject: Re: Re-moisturizing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:14 am 

Cigar Gregory wrote:
I have a video from seedman, I just spray the tobacco with a spray bottle of distilled water(lightly shake off excess water). then i put the leaves in a garbage bag and close it up over night. in the moring they are perfect for my needs...cigars.
If they are still a little brittle, just repeat and check in a few hours.
If they come out a little too moist, let them sit in the open air...they'll dry pretty fast.

Thank you very much. I'll try it, but do you have any probelm with mold at all?

Post subject: Mold?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:28 pm 

hey Cameron,
No mold at all cause your only having it moist for a day or 2.

The way it was shown on the vidio is to spray it (when it is totally dry) and I wet it from top to bottom.
Shake off the excess gently,,,carefully put it into a plastic bag,,,close bag as best you can,,,wait over night.

.,,,in the morning check the pliability of the leaves,,,you should be able to gently pack the leaves to the bottom of the bag , then roll it up getting as much air out as possible
,,,leave this for a few hours then de-vane and sort out the wrappers, binders and fillers in seperate bags((you need to lay the leaf halves on top of each other then roll them up-put then in the bags)),,,making sure to roll the air out of the bag.
This process has worked great. the only time i got mold, in just 1 bag, was over a month later.
So now if i'm not gonna roll i let the leaves dry out totally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:47 pm 

Good, just making sure. I guess there are several ways. I know hanging them outside somewhere where the rain can't get at them on a humid day will easily bring mine to case. Though who wants to always be at the mercy of the weather every time you want to bring leaves to case? :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:20 am 

I went thru all sorts of methods to get my leaves into case.
At the end I found the best way was to simply dip them in warm water for about 30 seconds.

This has been my best working experience.
May...or may not be the correct way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:58 am 

Spraying actually does work well, and it's nice and simple. If your leaves are soggy, you're just spraying them way too much! You aren't trying to bring them to case instantly; they need to sit for an hour or more to absorb the water.

I tried a humidifier once, but it was too uneven; got the bottoms too juicy while the tops were still crispy. Then again, in a small enclosed space it might work a lot better. (Did mine hanging in the bathroom)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:01 am 

I have some hands that I wanted to shred and being really dry here today, they were not in case when I brought them in from the barn.
I had the idea of hanging the hands from the towel rack in the bathroom and then I took my morning shower. Afterwards I left the door stay closed with all the steam still in the room and checked them just now and they are in perfect case for the shredder.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:22 pm 

So now they gonna be Irish Spring aroma ???
rc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:23 am 

Or the bathroom will smell like a tobacco barn!
I have found it easiest to take a box of dried leaves and just set them out on the grass in the evening. By morning they have the dew on them and you can just take them up as they dry out a little. Usually you can check the case several times during the morning, and depending on the RH, pick them up mid-morning. At that time i stretch them out flat, pile them and return them to the cardboard box. Then turn them several days in a row until uniform case and leave them for whatever treatment i'm going to give them. JMHO.
Neal