How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Brick pressing
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:37 am 

^^^

good info. there,,,,, it's wise to listen to someone who's done it,

im gonna slice my damp brick up. and store it in mason jars opening it so often to let it breath,,,

i read thats the way a guy on here does his,,,

but this is my experiment brick,,,,who knows,? i may not make another one,,,,, or i may make all of it this way..???

gotta see how the mason jar experiment goes,??? :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:13 pm 

I have started a brick.. in a wooden (home made) box and I'm squeezing it with a C clamp. I reckon I'll leave it for a week or so and then open the box..

Is that long enough? Too long?

Next problem is... how does one slice it?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:04 pm 

Keith,

In my opinion you can use any kind of wood except the few that are toxic like black cherry, cherry, wallnut,... there are a few that are toxic, but only a few. May not even matter for this use, but why take a chance. Plywood has some nasty glues in it that may flavor the product, but may not matter as the tobacco is only in there for a short time. Pretty sure all oak is OK..or ash. One of my neighbors has a maple tree with a large dead branch hanging up high. He said I can have the limb and intend to use that maple for my boxes.

Slicing the brick is a problem. If it drys out is is like a brick..if it stays in some case (soft enough to bend) it can be cut with a sharp knife..but it isn't easy. On the McBaren site they have vidio clips of their process. It shows a very big industrial powered slicer, much like a metal shear. I think Leftyighty is correct about not keeping tobacco in brick form for a long time. It needs to be sliced so it can accept moisture. BTW: I have used steam from a tea pot fo soften a hard brick so it could be sliced..it workes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:42 pm 

OK. I've taken the advice I was given. I released the clamps today and... I have a brick! It's a loose brick, not solid. It's in case so I have packed it in a polythene bag to let it continue ageing. As long as it's damp and flexible, I suppose it can be cut. It weighs in at 250 grams.

I've started the second brick too... Virginia this time, and I dampened it with a rum solution as I packed the mould.

I'm looking forward to getting that one out!

Ain't science fun? As Einstein said, "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:13 pm 

Keith......A single plastic bag may not be enough. They tend to leak moisture.

I did have some success storing bricked tobacco. It was moist to begin with, was tightly wrapped with plastic wrap (Saran wrap), then placed in a Zip-Loc bag, and placed in a 2nd plastic bag. After about two years, it is still moist & flexible.

But, I've have opened it once, and attempted to slice from it. OK to slice, but the shreds don't seperate well - they seem to have glued themselves together over time. So, I just packed it back up. Maybe, in time it will make a good chew, but I prefer cigarettes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:54 am 

LeftyRighty wrote:
.....the shreds don't seperate well - they seem to have glued themselves together over time.

That's exactly what I want.. it's called flake tobacco and it gets smoked in my pipe!

Two years? Wow.