How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spraying it with booze?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:56 am 

Just wondering if a way to stop it going moldy might be to spray some high-alcohol booze on it before sealing it in a jar?
Does alcohol kill mold?
Hoping it will also add to the flavour nicely, as I smoke the pipe.

Your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Spraying it with booze?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:10 am 

I've tried that, M...

Not sure it worked real well, but it did knock the mold down.

So far, best I can pass along about mold is to keep the baccy under conditions the mold will not thrive under.
...Hot and dry, or very cold...

Until the baccy has cured well and is stored in suitable case, there will always be an opportunity for mold to grow wild.
Even then, there is some degree of micro activity in the leaf, which is probably why tobacco improves with age, to a point.

I will just be starting my 2nd year, so there's plenty I do not know...

Quite some time ago, when investigating different pipe tobaccos I watched one YouTube video where a commentator said he did NOT find whiskey flavored baccy to have a particular taste, when smoked, relative to the product used on it. He did say the aroma in the pouch or jar may have been notable, just that it didn't seem to smoke with that quality of the spirit used.

:lol:
I've gone 'round and 'round with Lonnie as I experimented with different flavor sprays on my baccy trying to improve the smoke...
Basically, he is correct.
There really is no substitute for a quality grown tobacco.

I have had a small degree of success improving lower quality baccy to make it usable... particularly with the eucalyptus...
Steaming dried leaf over euc leaves in boiling water infuses the baccy with some of the essential oils which smooth a harsh baccy to a degree, even without making the menthol very noticeable. Of course, more, will make the menthol note quite noticeable.

Anyhow, to stop the mold, my present course of action for leaf that has not completely cured is to place it in the freezer for at least 3 days, then put it directly in the oven for a toasting session according to FMGrowit's instructions.

Good luck,
rc