How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do different tobaccos stored together mingle flavor?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:52 am 

Hi --

I have about 65 lbs of tobacco hanging now of several different types. I'm wondering if I need to separate out the different kinds so they don't all start tasting the same. It's much easier for me to keep them hanging in the same place and it's been so dry I can't move them without crumbling them to powder. I may have to mist them heavily to move them.

Anyone have any experience in different tobacco types blending flavors being stored together?

Bob

Post subject: Re: Do different tobaccos stored together mingle flavor?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:15 am 

Dam good question Bob, to which I have no answer :( I've been wondering that for quite a few years myself. My gut tells me that yes, the flavors have to co- mingle but as yet I have no proof. I'm thinking that the curing phase is not as critical as packing them all into a kiln for 3 weeks.

Randy B

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:09 am 

Hi
Bob I would think if tobacco can pick up flavors from onions or pine or cedar etc, it should be able to pick from other types to.Question comes is what differance would it make ? I store 4 types in same area (kiln ) now. They do not all taste a like. They are stored close together with air moving around them in inclosed space. each one has sperate flavors. if they have picked up flavors from each other we can't tell it. But we have tendency to mix together anyway soooooooo? lee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:49 am 

I <think> if you wish to be a purist, and be able to make the best judgement of a strain, it might be wise to keep them separated.
YMMV !
Good luck
rc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:13 pm 

As I recall reading (about cigars with different tobaccos mixed) after the cigar is created it is allowed to rest for a period of time in the 'marrying' room. To allow the tobacco flavors to mix and mingle (marry). So I would say yes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:35 pm 

with no experience to judge from, only what I've learned from here, I have to agree with wydeboi.
I doubt it will fully intermingle, but a true turkish might have a bit of a burley flavor if stored amongst each other and visa versa.

when I blend several flavors together in a big batch I have noticed if I pinch some out and start to roll up right away, one cig will taste a little different than the next, but a few days or week later they all start to taste the same so I have to say in that situation, yes. but if hanging separately in a common space just air drying? I dunno.

It would be an interesting experiment to try putting two distinctly different flavors in close proximity while curing and two of the same, totally separated (as control) and only blended at time of consumption, to see if there is any difference.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:09 am 

Hi --

Good point about blends after shredding, you know they have to mingle flavor. Now I'm wondering if a tobacco with not so good a flavor mixed with a good flavor tobacco will take on the good flavor or will the good flavored tobacco take on the bad flavor or will they mix to be a half-good, half-bad flavor!

Talk about anal retentive....lol

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:56 am 

hi
well if they do mingle while strored , what keeps them from mingle flavor when grown in same plot next to each other ? Lots here grow 3-4 types in same 30' x 50' plot . No answers just another question. :?: lee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:19 am 

I would think there is a gigantic difference between plants growing 3 feet apart in a field and tobacco leaf compressed into a box!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:52 pm 

Hi
you are right . but my answer / question, was to bobs question about tobacco hanging not compressed in a box. I believe hanging in garage may be about same distance apart as those growing close spaced. lee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:19 pm 

my guess is that if the air is not moving and the aromas co-mingle (as is the case with blending shredded in a jar or compressed in a bale) then they will take on the flavor of the stronger of the two.
Just a theory,
if you have a strong flavored/scented baccy that doesn't taste too good in close proximity of a good, but weak flavored one, the stronger flavor will overwhelm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:52 pm 

Well Jack I think your right lol thinking isn't they two Jacks in this thread .

But what wydeboi says about cigars is very true about cigerettes also . I read in some tobacco site where they store the freshly blended tobaccos for a good period of time to let the flavors / aroma's marry . Just how long I can't remember but know it seemed like a good lengh of time .

I could be wrong but I really dont think just hanging near each other would mingle any flavor or aroma . However stored together perhaps sealed in something is a different story . How much or how long would it take I have no idea .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:05 am 

Hi --

As many of you recall, I brought up the topic tobacco plant sap fragrance changing as they mature. Ok, I'm nasel-centric and I smell the leaves too. There isn't much fragrance to an unbruised leaf. So I don't think we'll see much aroma mingling in the field.

In the same manner, I guess leaves hanging that are fairly dry have little aroma to spread about as well. With all the winter air here, there's very little moisture and my leaf isn't even getting into case. Maybe this wave of rain we're supposed to get tonight and tomorrow will change that.

Like y'all have said though, when stored packed into boxes in good case order, the leaves do have a stronger fragrance and I suppose they must mingle flavors somewhat. I think it would be a bad idea to store cigar tobacco, for instance, with Virginia brightleaf. The mild aroma of the Virginia would surely start smelling like the cigar type. Whether that would ever be noticable when burning is another question.

Thanks for all your responses, I thought up this question because we put plastic around the hanging tobacco of all types in order to try to steam it pliable so we could pack it up and I wondered if they might "contaminate" each other. Incidently, we STILL haven't been able to get it pliable enough to move it into boxes! LOL! I'm going to hand mist it soon and pack it into boxes when it's dry enough that it won't mold.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:19 am 

Pipe tobacco is aged for precisely the reason that the flavors mix and mingle over time. Of course those are pressed together and shredded before being sealed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:36 am 

hi
Okay I can stop taking the onions out of house when wife rolls cigerettes? :roll: :lol:
Lee