How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storing ready to smoke?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:12 am 

I usually buy shop pipe tobacco in the plastic 40gram pouches but I suspect that quite a lot of additives are used to keep it "fresh".
I'm wondering what to use for bagging the finished item on an every day basis or even for long term storage so it doesn't loose it's own aroma or that of any sauce I use for aromatic casing.
Would polypropylene hold the aroma and moisture better or how about the foil lined plastic used for most snacks?

Post subject: Re: Storing ready to smoke?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:29 pm 

Lot of pipe "afficianados" talk about putting their excess (bulk bought) tobacco in glass Jars and storing em in the basement..no light, constant temp. They say, to leave an air space above the level of the tobacco. Some open the jars every once in a while..like every three-four months, to once a year...to change air...and for the enjoyment of smelling how it's doing. You'd think this would work for homegrown...unless there are preservitives in "bought" tobacco that they don't mention... though I don't know why they would. If the % of moisture is right it wouldn't need it..and would just add to the cost of production. I think the Britts have some law about not adding anything to tobacco.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:19 am 

Howdy Y'all,

I have about a pound of dry loose pipe tobacco that is almost a year old that has been keep dry in baggies and then they are kept in a one gallon baggy. I take a small baggy and put an ounce in with a damp paper towel (at one end as not to touch the tobacco) for a few days. Everyday I take the damp towel out and gently shake the baccy and then place the damp towel back and then 3-4 days later enjoy a good smoke! Last night I smoked a pipe while grilling chicken and roasting corn, I did have to re-light twice. Hope that helps -- Chuck.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:17 am 

Thanks for the posts, it looks like zip-locks will have to do me until I can get hold of enough big glass jars. I'll get small ziplocks for daily usage.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:22 pm 

Hi --

Something else to consider.

I've been storing my tobacco in corrugated cardboard boxes using the theory that fermentation will continue to increase the quality of the tobacco over time and storing in an airless, dry condition halts fermentation. Granted, we have more than 50% humidity more than half the time so the fermentation continues. If you have very arid conditions, your tobacco will be crispy dry most of the time in open air.

Cigar makers will frequently ferment their tobacco for over a year to increase the quality using less humidity over time to avoid molding.

So far, my tobacco has done nothing but improve with time. Right now, we've had lots of rain and the tobacco is in case condition (in order) where I have it stored. No doubt that the fermentation is continuing at a slow pace and the tobacco is improving.

Just an alternate notion rather than storing in sealed containers.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:53 pm 

Bob,

I'm curious, did you put the tobacco in the boxes in a dry state? Just wondering about mold and bugs with it stacked in boxes. Sounds like a good idea for allowing it to continue fermenting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:10 am 

Hi --

Yes, dry it completely including the mid rib, then it's ready for storage. All the methods of storage start that way. The ambient humidity will bring it in and out of case (order) and when it's in case, it is fermenting if it's warm.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:34 pm 

how to candle jars hold up to storing? my dad used some kind of glass jars with a simple lid (I don't think they were mason) to store his pipe tobacco when I was very young-- I just can't remember what they were exactly...

it's either that or mason jars to keep my shredded tobacco, and i'd like to just use candle jars unless they don't seal well. any input?

i found a site that may be of interest for a lot of us looking for easy storage: http://www.specialtybottle.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:04 pm 

I'm using mason jars, started out with quart jars and am moving up to 1/2 gal. jars.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:19 am 

My tobacco will be at two locations:
Here in GB, no problem keeping it in cardboard boxes.
In the lush Azores, being Islands it's VERY humid, to the extent that one can't use cardboard boxes without a dehumidifier running because the boxes go floppy and the glue goes soft. It's like being at sea because.. you are. There are also all manner of molds everywhere.
Problem is that I can't take anything heavy like glass jars in the suitcase there and glass jars are hard to come by because the locals use them for making jam.
I notice one can get
"30 Silver Metallic Stand up Ziplock Pouches Bag 22×30cm" on ebay, Item 350369103297

Presumably the metallic ones won't let any aroma in or out. Are these ideal?