How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vacuum bag storage ???
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:35 am 

Got lots of burley properly color-cured, fermented and now aging, and it's all good stuff. Way more than I can use in the following year. Am considering options for storage. Some has already been bricked, shredded and stuffed into glass quart jars. Really don't like the idea of storing loose leaf dry in cardboard boxes, as I can't really control temp/RH in storage areas of my home.

I am considering getting one of those vacuum system. Would it be a good option to brick and vacuum seal tobacco in a plastic bag? Am I better off vacuum sealing whole leaf (semi-dry, of course). Am looking for suggestions or recommendations!

Post subject: Re: vacuum bag storage ???
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:25 pm 

i've thought about that also, and im still waiting for some responces to your question. sounds like a good idea to me, but im not sure if it would stop the cureing process in which makes it better with age or what.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:56 pm 

Vacuum sealed tins get better with age. I am making a wild guess that it would be little different in plastic as long as you can't smell the tobacco through the bag.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:36 pm 

Pipe tobacco manufacturers often vac seal their products so it will work and help preserve the tobacco. But, my opinion, fresh home grown tobacco will last years without such treatment. How long do you expect to store it before use?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:08 am 

I'm only planning on storage for a year or several at most. I have enough Burley now for several year's mixing, and am now growing enough turkish for several years. I'm thinking this 'vacuum-bag' storage is not much different than what's happening in the middle of a large tightly bound bale of stored commercial tobacco.

Two things concern me. First, will the plastic bag affect taste and odor? I'm thinking not -- it's said the fruits, veggies and meats don't change taste, smell or quality. But, I'm thinking that my storage time frame is considerable longer than most food products, although who knows just how old are those frozen peas in my freezer. And, I'll be storing at room temperature, not frozen.

Second, The most convenient storage would be bricked, space-wise. But if it's tightly bricked for several years, will it seperate into a useable form when shredded later? The bricks that I've stored for a month are a bit more difficult to seperate than those only a few days old.

Actually, there are two vacuum systems that are available. There are the smaller food service bag systems. And there are the big clothing storage bags that are sucked down with a vacuum cleaner -- I guess these could be used for whole leaf storage.

Maybe I need to just jump in and learn from experience.
Was hoping someone has tried this, or knows if any commercial ventures have experience.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:39 pm 

Hi there
I've been using one of those food saver vacuum machines to store my baccy for about 3 years now.
It works very well (but make sure you're at the right moisture content first, or it'll mold!) and I believe the maturing process carries on just fine. Certainly seems to with mine.
What I like about it is that it doesn't dry out, thus slowly gets better and better, plus it doesn't pick up any bad smells from elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:24 pm 

Hi
Just a passing thought. If you have or can use a home compactor I'll bet you can see all kinds of possibillitys. Most all that I have seen are 9" wide 16" front to back and 16" high. a little playing like a 8"x 8" plywood square fastened to another just like it with a 8" X 16"canvas to keep seperate and secound set could be set up so that wood on bottom and wood on top seperated by canvas would get 2 bricks about 8 x 8 and maybe 2" tall. lift out and wrap with plastic wrap and then box. Tobacco needs to be slight case almost dry . stop and look at one somewhere. lee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:21 pm 

Tobacco has been stored for years without molding, but still aging, so long as the temp/humidity is @ 70 F/70 RH or lower.

So, for long-term storage no temperatures above 70 and no humidity above 70.

The best range for long-term storage, IMO, would be 64 F/64 RH.

Keep the temps above 50 or so to allow aging and at least 40 humidity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:50 am 

I like this vacuum bag storage idea, I have been following this thread. I have a vacuum bag machine, and I use it for cooking in the crock pot ( it cooks in it's own liquid), when cooked you can store it up to 28 days in the fridge.
I think it would work well for tobacco, don't forget when you pull the vacuum in the bag you will get about 14.5 lbs per inch squeezing the tobacco together into a block.so no need to brick it first. Plus there will be hardly any oxygen in the bag so mold should not form.
Well that's my 10 cents worth.

Mark W

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:44 am 

If you want your tobacco to age (like a fine wine) and have the flavor change over time to become a complex yet mellow blend of many flavors, then do not vacuum pack it. Tobacco needs some air to age properly. Pipe tobacco companies vacuum pack theirs in tins because they are really wet and any air in the tin would cause bacteria to grow.

Randy B

Edit: I just watched a video of the Cornell and Diehl factory. They do not vacuum pack their tins. They state that air is needed inside the tin but to prevent mold from forming they treat the tobacco with an anti-microbial agent... More reason to grow your own "pure" tobacco.

Last edited by Jitterbugdude on Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:25 pm 

Jitterbugdude is right. An aged cigar, or any tobacco, needs a bit of air to mellow and blend flavors. Plus, as cigars age they sometimes develop 'bloom' on the outside wrapper leaf. It appears to be covered in little, tiny, sparkling diamond dust when held up to the light. Smoke one of those and you will have a really nice smoke!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:12 pm 

I have to say that hops change overtime in vacuum sealed bags you can notice flavor changes from day one to a month or 2 later I know hops are not tobacco but I had to put that out there