How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storing in bags made from sheets...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:17 pm 

I'd like to begin by saying that I have very much enjoyed reading all of the posts that I have read on this site. And, they have me champing at the bit to get started growing my own tobacco and telling the tax man to kiss where the sun don't shine!!! :lol:

Today, I've been doing a lot of reading about the many different ways that different ones store their tobacco after color cured & dried, after fermented/aged, and even after being cut/shredded. One of the ways that I have read about storing tobacco was as a whole leaf that is stored in burlap bags. And, it was even suggested that one might age... not color cure, age the tobacco the "natural" way in burlap bags.

I don't have any burlap. And, I don't have any intentions of going out and buying a bunch... at least, not right now. But, I do have several bed sheets. I got them from my grandmother's house when she broke up house keeping and began living with my mom and dad. My reading and having stored beans, peas, seeds and such in sacks made from pillow cases and bed sheets has prompted the following questions in my mind.

#1 - Should sacks that are made from the bed sheets be just as good for tobacco aging/storage as the burlap bags? Or, would the tighter woven threads of bed sheets tend to absorb moisture from the air and allow too little air circulation; thereby causing more of a propensity to grow mold?

#2 - If the bags would be good for the uses in question #1, would bags made from the bed sheets also be good to store cut/shredded cigarette tobacco in? I know it would eventually dry out and have to be reconstituted and brought back to life. But, I'm still curious.

Thank you in advance for any information you are willing to share!! If I can remember and put into practice only 1% of all the information I have read on this site, I am confident that I will be quite able to produce cigarette tobacco that will be above and beyond my expectations! :)

Post subject: Re: Storing in bags made from sheets...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:29 pm 

Back long ago, a brand of cig tobacco was sold in a cloth bag with a drawstring. Not quite as good a cloth as sheets, but I remember that the tobacco was always dry. FWIW.

Tobacco that is too dry will age very slowly if at all. Too wet and you risk mold. Paper bags and cardboard boxes work well for me. Others swear by a sealed plastic bin type box sorta like huge Tupperware containers.