How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How To Store Tobacco For The Long Term
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:53 am 

Good presentations, Sailor, I enjoy reading them.
rc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:56 am 

hi I just read your posts and clicked on link http://www.glpease.com and read F A Q. was very interesting. I agreed with most of his comments. But not all. one of the last was that tobacco that has not been flavored is not good tasting. I asked my wife if she was to rate all the different tobaccos she has tried ? what one would she say was the best ? These include cigar , pipe, home grown , comercial cigerettes, any and all. She said "I believe it is one of the first that you grew" then It would be the stuff we got from Lonnie. Sense the first I grew was not listed as type just a mix of cigerette type tobaccos. I have no Idea what kind of plant it was. So lonnies comes to the top. I don't think lonnie flavored that tobacco. I think he color cured then let age and then sent me some . he did mix different types, but not flavorings. If he did he will speak up quickly lol. If he did not he will speak up just as quickly :lol: .So as my wife stated and many more of you. un flavored tobacco can and does taste good. But over all very interesting F A Q. was looking at nuking tobacco and palstics and Mold. Lee I am working on a post of just molds more later lee oh yes I thnk she said the one that I grew to make me feel good :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:04 pm 

Take everything anyone tells you with a grain of (sea) salt. Consider the source: He's a tobacconist. It wouldn't do for him to say that unflavored is better, now would it?

That being said I think that most people equate "flavored" tobacco with syrupy-sweet drugstore cherry cough drop flavor. Not that I have an opinion on the matter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:02 pm 

Hi --

HeySailor, you are absolutely right. The tobacconist has a vested interest in keeping his flavorings secret. Like McDonald's Secret Sauce. Or was it Burger King? We need a fastfoodist expert to tell us!

And you are also right about what flavored tobacco really is. Unless you are smoking the right Winston brand or RYO cig tobacco, the tobacco is indeed flavored and not a little either! A lot! Didn't I read that only 50% of a cigarette "tobacco" by weight is actually tobacco?

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:11 pm 

Some tobacco in your cigarettes are cured for up to three years. Bob's box idea will let it breath/cue and age and as long as the box is odor free the tobacco smell will over power the box smell. I lucked into finding out leaving my color cured tobacco hanging loose in plastic grocery bags in my garage helped my tobacco. I already have four bags with about one pound each hanging from this years and I haven't harvested yet. My only problem is that they are all mixed with leaves that have color cured on the stalk.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:45 pm 

Cardboard boxes are working great for me. I'm fortunate that the guy who lives next door to my mother (she's next door to me) works at a place that makes boxes and sometimes he takes home some rejects. I currently have a stack of about 40 23" long by 15" wide by 24" tall sitting in the barn ready to fold, tape, and put to use.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:47 pm 

Lee

No flavorings in mine !! I can't see why I should learn to mask the fine taste of fresh tobacco with a sauce or spice like flavoring . Think I will play with this idea some but for pipe tobacco not cigerettes .

For our part ( wife and I ) a good blend with a good natural casing ( no longer sure about the glycerin sruff ) should be good enough . We have been smoking our own for over a year and haven't needed any flavorings to help us choke one down yet . So I see no sence in starting that now .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:43 pm 

Talk about long term storage!
I was at an antique store today and came across one of them old Laredo RYO kits, still in original box with instructions, filters, papers and even the unfolded cig packs to put them in. (circa 1970's)
it still has the original price sticker on the box of $1.70 and no barcode on the box (makes it pre '73)

Too my surprise, I opened the tobacco container and it was 90% full. I counted out the filters still in the cellophane and there was 88 filters (it was a kit of 100 originally).
It appears the original owner only made 12 cigs and gave up, packed it all up and put it away, and later found it's way to an antique store in Elgin, TX.

The baccy smelled good if not better than it originally did (I remember my father had one of these in the 70's)

It was dry as the bones of John F Kennedy so I used a trick from Rustycase and held a bit in my hand and blew air into it for a few minutes to rehydrate. Once it was back into case, I dug out a filter and paper from the kit and using the supplied injector, and it worked like a champ!
It smoked great, tasted great and was proof to me that tobacco never grows old but only gets better with age.

BTW - I paid $5.00 for it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:23 am 

CJ

It would appear your getting right good at using that cigar mold . I have one that does the torpedo type and can get them to do ok untill I try wraping them .

That tapered shape just messes me up everytime . Believe it or not I can actually roll a nice cigar with my hands than turns out better than the tapered ones . I rolled about 10 the first time I tried it and nicked them Eastwood sweets because they reminded me of the one Clint always smokes in the movies .

For a tiny cigar like the cigerette size you can buy using a thumb roller will make one that looks like it came from the store .

For the eastwood Sweets I just take about 3 half pieces of leafs and lay them on the table . Start at one end rolling it up with my fingers . After I get about half way and have a good size roll started I just take the palm of my hand and press down as I roll it up the table . I got perty good real fast but kinda slow to lay them out then it goes fast . I let that dry and then wrap small pieces on them . One piecs per cigar and glue then set it down to dry moving on to another one .

By the time you get 10 cigars with one strip of baccy I can start all over putting a second strip on them . About 3 maybe 4 strips to the cigar and they done .

Damn them torpedo shaped things though no fast way of doing them and they always look rough .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:07 am 

I had one when I was 22 yo. It was great but I couldn't find refills. I didn't look to hard though.
Good smoke.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:32 am 

That Laredo machine looks like it has all the function of the newest machines available, CJ.
Glad to hear that it also works good !

Fun stuff ! ...alligator texture on the case ! :)
If I had more bucks I'd collect even more stuff than I do now!
I like artwork, and different doodads and gewgaws for entertainment.

Next year, in between growing a new crop, I'm gonna do a lot of fishing.
...and doing that traveling should get me by a bunch of thrift stores to check out. :)

Best
rc

Man! Those are NICE cigar molds! :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:52 am 

HeySailor wrote:
This is not the first time this subject has come up.

The Tobacco Cellar
A Place To Show Off Your Ever Growing Collections of Tins & Mason Jars
http://www.brothersofbriar.com/the-tobacco-cellar-f16/

Crikey! Just joined over there but afaik nobody grows their own.