How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Check for mold
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:02 pm 

Just a heads up and a reminder, I check my stored tobacco today and found four hands with minor mold. I pulled them out and heat treated them to kill the mold, I'll keep them separate to monitor. So, check your baccy every so often. :)

Post subject: Re: Check for mold
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:47 am 

wydeboi wrote:
Just a heads up and a reminder, I check my stored tobacco today and found four hands with minor mold. I pulled them out and heat treated them to kill the mold, I'll keep them separate to monitor. So, check your baccy every so often. :)

I keep mine hanging in bags in the garage. I was checking a few days back and found a clump in one of the oldest bags that were moldoing. I disposed of it (the clump) and have been checking the rest.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:01 am 

Just reading this I desided to check my tobacco bins I have stored / aging .

All tobacco is in 1 gallon zip lock bags with the air squeezed out then sealed . These are placed into a plastic air tight storage bin . Every bag I checked looks good just like it was when I placed it in bags .

Gonna get this laundry room cleaned out and will move it all in there and do a better check on it then . Will takes pics and share them . I'm kinda baffeled as to why prople are having mold issues at this point .

I know I first said I'd store just as I have . Then I changed my mind at one point and was gonna store it using different methods . Well due to not having the big humidor completed ( unable to control humidy and temperature ) I went ahead and went with my first idea .

The main reason I changed my mind about storing in zip locks was smell and aroma . Some in a box smelled so much better . What was in zip locks didn't smell bad but it didn't smell good like what was in boxes .

To my surprise these bags now smell great . They reak of tobacco smell not the muggy smell they had a couple months ago . They all still in case like they were when I put them up . But that muggy smell dissapeared and they now smell great . I'm really glad I went with my first storing plan .

Thinking about this the only thing I can think is causing mold issues for people is moisture . My leafs are in case but very little moisture . They do have moisture none the less as I can open a bag and remove leafs and unroll them without any crumbling . My bags also contain enough moisture if I placed one in the sun the bag would get foggy looking . No water droplets but a foggy look .

If your storing in plastic bags and move one to a heat source and see water drops this is to wet . Some moisture is needed ( my opinion ) but if drops of water form this is to much . A slight foggy look appears to be ok but actual drops of water is to much moisture in my opinion .

Gentlemen I sure hate to see anyone go to the trouble and the work of growing this and then loose it once it's in storage . I'm thinking perhaps the leafs wern't as dry / cured as some thought they were . If the tobacco is air dried right it should be storable without mold issues . In my opinion it should store just fine sealed in airtight containers even with a small amount of moisture in the leafs .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:34 am 

People are getting mold from not using airtight containers to control the humidity. Non airtight storage is absorbing humidity when it goes high at night. Dehumidifying is a slower process than humidifying.

Humidity will go high when the temperature drops (and vise versa), inducing mold. So pick humidity level that won't go high case during storage temperature ranges. Keep in mind that tobacco beetles can hatch in temperatures above 70°.

Open airtight containers every month or two for the needed air exchange to enhance the aging process.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:44 pm 

I think you must be correct . I never looked at it like that but if not in an air tight container it would go high case everytime the humidity went up . The tobacco sucks it up like a sponge but wouldn't lose it near as fast letting moisture levels build to proper conditions for mold to grow .

All I can say for sure is I was once worried about storing like that even though I first though it was the only way to store it . Simply because some in air tight conditions didn't smell as good as some that could breath .

I'm not sure when the muggy smell left or why it left but the bags now smell great and they still have moisture in them . Not much but deffently low case levels . If I was having mold issues I really think I'd try an airtight container . Plastic bags work great because you can seal them and then apply heat . If to much moisture is in your tobacco you will know in a few minutes as you will see water drops . That way you would know to remove more moisture .

I can take a bag of mine and set it in a window on a sunny day and in minutes the bag has a foggy look to it . But it can set there all day and never form water drops . I think that would be a good measure to go by for new comers trying to learn this .

I know many have said to store in boxes in the attic and have had good luck . I believe them but I think the attic perhaps has the perfect conditions to store in breathable boxes . With the high heat you would find in an attic in summer or in winter I think the humidity would stay low enough to prevent molds .

If that assumption is correct then people storing like this should find crunchy dry leafs everytime they check the stuff .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:20 pm 

Ok, NEWBIE here... so trying to take all this in.

My understanding for storeing after a air & colour cure;

1. Completly air tight bags or boxs.
Q?; how are they stacked ? I read above that you roll it out ?
OR

2. in a breathable container or box - in a controlled environment.
Q?; whats the best temps and humidity ?

Q?; what sort of time frame am I looking at - 4mths- 6mths- 2yrs ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:36 pm 

I'm storing in boxes in my bedroom. The temp is set at 65F and the humidity ranges from 50-60%. It seems to be working for me as I've only found that one instance of mold. Time will tell and I could be wrong. Perhaps those leaves were to wet too store.

(edited to add)

Chiliman, I've heard that the tobacco can be ready in 3, 6 or 12 months (still aging mine). I think it will depend more on your own personal taste. I do know that tobacco will get better with age if stored correctly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:51 pm 

wydeboi wrote:
I'm storing in boxes in my bedroom. The temp is set at 65F and the humidity ranges from 50-60%. It seems to be working for me as I've only found that one instance of mold. Time will tell and I could be wrong. Perhaps those leaves were to wet too store.

(edited to add)

Chiliman, I've heard that the tobacco can be ready in 3, 6 or 12 months (still aging mine). I think it will depend more on your own personal taste. I do know that tobacco will get better with age if stored correctly.

65F thats about 18C - The butter zone for mold is between 28C and 34 C (82F - 93F ) with humidity 50% +
Unfortunately I dont think I have a zone in my house during summer that is consistent enough that low during summer. (Syd, Australia) And most would find that mark at some stage. Also the hmidity here is killer ;)

So I guess I have no choice but to have sealed bags.

Q?; Can a VAC seal them ? Opening once a week and resealing ? ( this may also compress the leaf alittle ? )

edit: thinking about that, it would NOT release the ammonia as needed in maturation and would not ferment properly ?
Whats your thoughts ?

Q?; How do you guys stack , roll, stuff, fold the leaf into these `bags` ?

Q?: what is a typical bag ?? Hessen, wrapped in plastic. just plastic, cotton etc etc ????

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:05 pm 

Okay, guys, with the most experience. We, newbies are losing our tobacco, and our questions are very similar to Chilliman's questions.
1- I hung my tobacco...when do I take it down and store it? What is the guidelines?
2- What temperature and humidity do I aim for in storage?
3-How do you know it has changed from plant to brown leaf to real tobacco?
4- Should you freeze it before bagging it, to kill the bugs?
5-Can you vaccuum seal it? Why wouldn't glass jars work just like bags? You could still add heat and watch for condensation.
I had no clue what to do with my tobacco, so I simply took it down the green, the brown, and the stinky, to make room for the new ones, and I piled the crispy stuff in a shallow willow basket, in the same room with the curing tobacco. I have no clue if that is good or bad idea, but I needed the lines, and I didn't know what to do with it. I figure, I will sort it out in spring. Surely it will either do something or not by then.
But, I am hearing from lots of folks that they are losing tobacco after color curing it, to mold. I can't even get past color curing, some does color cure, some doesn't. So, I just let it go crispy and stacked it up, figuring mold can't grow on that.
But, we really need some kind of clear guidelines on what do you do with tobacco once you take it down from hanging, or out of piles where you are color curing.
Not everyone has an attic! And many of us have high humidity at times. I go from fighting with 90% humidity to can't get humidity above 50%.
I do not want a kiln, I am willing to wait and let the tobacco cure naturally, if it will.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:07 pm 

Here summer temps range from highs of 58-70F with low humidity except in the morning when the fog comes in for a few hours, fall temps are about the same maybe a little cooler and dryer. I'm using cardboard boxes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:21 pm 

my tobacco is stored in my carage in open plastic bags (like you get when shopping - with handles) I have a few pounds of color cured leaf in each one hanging fron the joists. I have started looking in them regularly since I found a clump of molded leaves in my first back. So far all is well.