How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fusing various fermentation methods
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:51 am 

Hey ho,

I've begun fermenting my tobacco on Friday, and considering the ill results I've got from my previous attempt, I've now taken a different approach to properly ferment them.

The tobacco leaves (Havanna, Corojo, and Pereg, grown in southern Germany) have received a light casing bordering on wet, then I've stacked them (about ~100 or rather more of them) and wrapped them in a roll with some canvas around them; I've used some string to tighten the roll even further. Thereafter, I've put them in big mason jars, which I then placed in my fermentation box.

My question now is: in how far will these wraps need rehydration? It's a pain in the arse to get them in so I don't even wanna think about getting them out again, but am concerned that the stuffs they're supposed to sweat out will negatively impart the leaves' flavour and that they may simply rot instead of ferment and improve.

Also, considering further storage afterwards, what do you guys think of storying cured leaves under pressure? I've heard before that some cigar leaves are kept in quite heavy stacks which helps them age, so I assume that putting something heavy on them to press them together may a) prevent mould and b) improve aging over time, plus they my not need additional hydration as often.

Thanks in advance for your replies :P

Post subject: Re: Fusing various fermentation methods
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:58 am 

hello mr1992, my guess that if you do not ventilate the leaves quite often it will create mold.
well, I'm not an expert in fermentation ... but why put a mason jair inside them inside a fermentation box?
fermentation box ... do you mean an kiln (heat, humidity and fan)?
hello, good job and have fun :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:17 am 

Hey MAB,

thanks for your reply, I've taken them out after a week now and aired them once in that time; the smell was overwhelming, it's just pure bliss i.e. it definitely worked^^

The reason I've opted for mason jars lies in my faulty set-up of the fermentation box; it's really just a square box consisting of three layers (wood inside - styrofoam - wood outside). In the past, I've had the problem that I could never keep the moisture high enough to prevent the baccy from drying out completely (goddamn pain in the arse even with the jars), hence, I was looking for a way to ensure that moisture stay in as much as possible. Also, the wood was treated with stuff and imparted a rather annoying flavour on the baccy to boot. Oh, and the heat is supplied via a heating cable for terrariums (thus can be exposed to moisture and is fit for long-term use) that goes up to 60°C, connected to a thermostat that turns it on and off.

Lesson to take away from my experiment: Works a charm, but make the tobacco pretty wet when putting it in, don't wrap it too tightly, else you'll have hell of a time unwinding them again. perhaps make the towel wet as well. Got a barnful still to do that over again xP, I'll definitely play chess or something in my next life, anything less time consuming thn this :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:43 am 

Hi mr1992,
well, if you have not had mold, your method works great!
I imagine that you are fermenting leaves already cured (yellow or brown), however, I must say that cigar tobaccos bear much better fermentation than other varieties.
For the humidity, I read here that the guys put a jar with water inside the kiln (box for fermentation).
hello , and good fermentation! :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:45 am 

I had tons of water in there, never worked, really dunno why o.o

Tried some yesterday and I dunno what the fuck is going on there, but it tastes like pipe tobacco <.< gonna make a different thread about this since that already happened last time.