How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sailor's prick navy plugs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:49 pm 

I'm wondering if anyone has tried wrapping carottes or pricks of tobacco in the traditional navy plug style.
It looks like a fair bit of work but the end result may be worth the labour. My plan is to hang my crop to color cure it for several months then strip the stems and bring it to order overnight with some honey and rum water to make it pliable and then wrap it in canvas and cord with a windlass choker. I'm wondering if the tobacco needs to be sweated in a kiln prior to wrapping it or if the pressure and moisture will allow it to sweeten up and mature nicely by wrapping it after its colour cured to a nice brown. Apparently this old style navy plug was shipped all over the globe in this form and was referred to as perique or prick tobacco. In France to this day all the tobacco shops have the lozenge shaped signs modeled after these carotte de tabac rolls of perique. Sailors in England who are old enough also refer to these plugs as "periques" of tobacco. Aleister Crowley the great beast was known to smoke his favorite pipe blend which was perique soaked in rum however it wasn't St. James parish perique it was traditional sailor's prick wrapped this way cured in navy rum. Smoking straight St. James perique isn't all that pleasant and it wont stay lit. I've tried a few times. My guess is that wrapping it so tightly creates a similar condition in the plug under the intense pressure that facilitates anaerobic fermentation along with the enzymatic oxidation similar to barrel or box pressing it. One person familiar with the technique remarked that the carottes begin to stink after a week or two and once the ammonia odor dissipates after a month or so they are doused in rum again and hung for a few months to a.few years.

If anyone has had success with this or not I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Cheers