How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ice Chest Kiln
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:18 am 

I converted an old ice chest into a kiln. It is small as this is my first year and I started with a small crop.
Let's see if I can share my photos. Click the link to see the photo out of my gallery.

Close up of the hydrometer and heat regulator. I set the heat regulator at 118 with a variance of 6 degree. So, far the hottest is has gotten is 115. cpg14x/displayimage.php?pid=4825&fullsize=1

I ran a line in my garage and hung the leafs via paper clips to the wire. Seems to be working well. Turning to yellow then a crispy brown. cpg14x/displayimage.php?pid=4824&fullsize=1

Hygrometer, vent and InkBird temperature regulator sitting on top of my converted Igloo ice chest kiln.
cpg14x/displayimage.php?pid=4823&fullsize=1

View inside the kiln. Crock pot, fan and metal grate in a converted Igloo ice chest cpg14x/displayimage.php?pid=4822&fullsize=1

Post subject: Re: Ice Chest Kiln
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:56 am 

Having trouble with the Ice Chest Kiln. It condensates like crazy and gets my tobacco wet. In fact last night, it was soaked. I kept it regulated at 65-75% humidity and 115 - 125F. A small fan runs, but it's a cheap USB fan. Crock pot for humidity and a 150W terrarium heat lamp for heat.
I am thinking of putting the tobacco in a sealed container and lightly moistening. Then putting the containing in my kiln, minus the crock pot. The daily checking the moisture and adding as needed. Or, scrap the kiln and hang the tobacco in my attic and forget about it for year, or so.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:44 am 

Excess condensation can ruin your leaf Very quickly and should be avoided like the plague !

This is a sure sign air circulation and venting/air exchange is insufficient.
Closed/sealed containers are Not a good thing !

I would strongly advise against introducing any moisture to a sealed plastic baggie, unless your intent is to make totally dried leaf pliable, for handling.

I could not imagine anything greater than a 40-60 watt incandescent light bulb being necessary for an ice-chest sized curing kiln.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:37 am 

Drill a 2" hole in the fridge, or leave the door open with the heat on untill the condensation goes away.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:40 pm 

Well, before you begin drilling holes in the fridge as JP suggested, see what kind of computer fans someone will give you.
Many are 5usd each, and less, and many people with extra computer parts usually have too many fans setting around.
Older 2-wire case cooling fans are most common, run on 12vdc, and usually draw about 0.15amps. They can be powered periodically using a car battery, or a used 12vdc adapter that plugs into the wall, available from most thrift stores, flea markets, and boot sales for 1usd and less...

My climate is arid... I cured much of my leaf in an enclosure which was little more than thin plastic painter's drop cloths thrown over a scrap wooden framework. Access was via a drape over the entire front, which I left open many evenings, and allowed it to close during the drier daylight hours.
I never did use a fan, yet did space my leaf well.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:12 am 

Well, as my mother would say, "It's all over but the shouting". My first attempting at growing tobacco was a learning experience. It's a good thing that I didn't need a great crop. I refer to my merger harvest as scree. I don't see any binder or wrapper leaves in there unless I start rolling pinners. 8) I was warned that it takes a lot of effort to get it right. Like the game Othello. An hour to learn, and life time to master. I plan to build a kiln next year that will give me more options. My ice chest idea, although seemed like a sound idea, had too many issues.
I will go back to brewing beer over the winter (I have 5 gallons as we speak in its secondary) and get back to growing tobacco in a few months.
Now if I just get a still perhaps I can DIY all my vices. :lol: