How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Next step from colour cure to pipe tobacco
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:07 pm 

I have been pile curing for colour as my air is very dry here. Once the leaf is yellowed, I pull it from the pile and hang it to dry.

This is going fairly well, no problems with mold and only a few green spots, but this tobacco doesn't look like pipe tobacco at all. It's bright yellow and looks more like something you'd find in a cigarette.

My leaves still have soft middle ribs, do they need to dry until they snap before I can re-case it and start to cure in jars/kiln/etc?
It looks like there are lots of methods to continue curing, but which way should I be heading in for a pipe tobacco?

Post subject: Re: Next step from colour cure to pipe tobacco
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:42 pm 

Im going to try twists and dashboard curing for mine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:01 am 

I keep it fairly simple and just store my leaf in a box and use it when I feel like it. I try to age it for around a year to mellow it out a bit but sometimes I don't mind the edgy roughness of young leaf. You can get a good kick out of smoking freshly cured leaf.

I've tried making twists, plugs and just shredding it. All are vaild ways to smoke in a pipe. Twists are easy and after around a year they develop into a decent smoke. Flavouring is a tricky thing and from my experience will take some experimenting with to get right.

Watch your moisture if storing in jars. Mold loves moist tobacco. Lost my fair share to mold even when using preservatives so keeping it on the dry side will aid in preservation.

My latest rough and ready Burley/Black Mammoth twists.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:06 pm 

I like the look of those twists! Do they have to be aged in a humidor or can they just hang in the closet? We have very low humidity here.

Do you dry the leaf crispy and then re-case it before you twist it up?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:56 pm 

I store my leaf dry, which does get a little crispy during winter when the humidity here drops. During summer the leaf absorbs humidity in the air and becomes more pliable.

With the leaf in these twists I cased it with some water, rum and flavouring, added some preservative, which is optional, but I like a little insurance against mold. A lot of people don't like the idea of additives which is fair enough. I used sodium benzoate and some calcium propionate as preservative. I then let it dry out after casing with the sauce till it was in what I thought was about right moisture and twisted the tobacco. I then left them to hang in my spare room. They've been hanging for around 3 months now so they are quite dry. I could probably put them in a jar or something and they shouldn't mold. They could also be brought up to a higher moisture content before smoking but when I'll see how it goes. Been sick with a cold for the last month so haven't smoked anything since getting sick but once this bug is gone I will try a bit of my twist to see how it turned out.

You can try and store it in a humidor but you might find that it'll start to mold. Homegrown is quite susceptible to molding in high humidity I've found hence why I am experimenting with different preservatives.

Anyway there are some good youtube clips on how to twist tobacco. It is pretty easy. You start of rolling it like a cigar and then you begin twisting it tightly working from the middle out. You want the leaf in reasonable case so the leaf is pliable and doesn't tear and stretches when twisting.

Anyway good luck with it and enjoy :)

Cheers,
ANT