How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: newbie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:14 pm 

hi everyone, im new to all of this and planning to grow small amounts of golden virginia next year! my only problem is the fermenting part.
the electricoty bill is none of my concern as the last people to live at my house decided to modify the meter box so i only use about 10p every 2 days!

would I be abil to turn one of these mini fridge into a tiny kiln things?? heres the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Mini-6-Can-Beverage-Fridge-Cooler-Warmer-Car-Boat-Home-Ac-Dc-W-Shelf-/111797875666?hash=item1a07ac33d2:g:RC8AAOSwYHxWH0PK

watcha guy's think????

Post subject: Re: newbie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:46 pm 

Bigger is better.
rc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:24 pm 

looks like a great idea to me...

I have to agree with rusty though, I wished it was a lot bigger... they make the same kind of thing that's up to like 32 quarts... maybe bigger.

looks like something I might be trying.

The fridge I am using is working pretty good but it's difficult to keep the temperature constant with the crock pot. Something like that that heats with a thermostat would be much less trouble.
I guess humidity would be another issue but I would think that since it's sealed once you get it warmed up and establish the proper humidity it wouldn't be difficult to keep it somewhat constant.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:13 am 

rustycase wrote:
Bigger is better.
rc

i can get something a little bigger but I will only be growing small amounts as a test run

if i had that mini fridge woud i be abil to modify it so the heat from the fridge itself would go inside and the cold to go out of the fridge?? like just turn the wiring over??? if you get what i mean :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:21 am 

arwynj55 wrote:
i can get something a little bigger but I will only be growing small amounts as a test run

Tobacco takes so long to grow and process that if things go well with your test grow it will try your patience waiting till the next growing season.
I say that tobacco seeds are cheap. If you have the space make your test run a big one. This way, if your efforts at curing don't go well at first you still have plenty left to try and perfect your methods without having to wait a whole other year.
This is my first year and I have already ruined several hundred leaves with "good ideas" that I have tried. Fortunately I ended up with something over 4000 good leaves to work with. If I had only had a few plants to start with it would be a very long, depressing winter.

arwynj55 wrote:
if i had that mini fridge woud i be abil to modify it so the heat from the fridge itself would go inside and the cold to go out of the fridge?? like just turn the wiring over??? if you get what i mean :lol:

The cord on those 12 volt induction fridges is reversible... one way heats and the other way cools. Looks like the one you are looking at has a switch that reverses the polarity.
Just make sure it is one of those plastic twelve volt fridges that works without a compressor..... like for traveling. They usually call them 12 volt 'travel coolers' rather than 'fridges'.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:35 am 

preacherman wrote:
The cord on those 12 volt induction fridges is reversible... one way heats and the other way cools. Looks like the one you are looking at has a switch that reverses the polarity.
Just make sure it is one of those plastic twelve volt fridges that works without a compressor..... like for traveling. They usually call them 12 volt 'travel coolers' rather than 'fridges'.

great, so the cooler/fridge i posted will do what i'll need it to do?? it'll be interesting to find out!

also as my test run ill be growing up to 10 plants. pending on what the wife says :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:37 am 

You could tell her how pretty the plants are... some grow them indoors!

or that some people have describes the new growth as looking like 'praying hands'.

YMMV
rc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:09 am 

rustycase wrote:
You could tell her how pretty the plants are... some grow them indoors!

some darn pretty plants alright!

i did actually have 2 plants, i planted them in august and harvested them to dry about 5 days ago... as the season was basically over they didnt grow any bigger than 4 inches tall and quite decent sized leaves for the size o the stem.

they were on the window sill of my bedroom in baby powder SMA tins.
as i have a 1 year old i tend to keep the empty tins as pots for small plants for when summer comes.

also im probably the youngest person on this forum :lol: