How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kiling times for cigarette tobacco?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:49 pm 

Anyone have any input into how long they kiln there tobacco for cigarettes? Some of my already color cured leaf has been in the kiln for around 2 weeks now and am wondering how much longer it will take.

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Kiling times for cigarette tobacco?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:41 am 

No clue, hopefully bumping this will get it more attention.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:41 am 

I usually kiln my tobacco from 4 to 6 weeks, it depends on the temperature inside the kiln. If I maintain 125 F then the 4 to 6 works out well. I then let it rest for about a week. Test you tobacco after 4 weeks and see if it something you can smoke, if not give it more time in the kiln. More time usually will mean better tobacco.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:46 pm 

offtobacco wrote:
Anyone have any input into how long they kiln there tobacco for cigarettes? Some of my already color cured leaf has been in the kiln for around 2 weeks now and am wondering how much longer it will take.

Thank you

There will be a very noticeable change in smell. It will go from fresh picked smell to a nice tobacco aroma. That aroma will get better over a month or so.
There are others on the site that can give a more precise answer. Truth be told, I only used a kiln for a little over a month and that was only for my first year growing (2009). I quickly went to air curing because it was less hassle to check every few days for mold that it was to make sure I still had water, a working fan and all lights working in the kiln that I opened every two days. I also did not want the added electricity on my bill, however minuscule. Plus, the kiln, made from an old refrigerator had to be sprayed with a vanilla based spray to keep the tobacco from have an odd old used refrigerator smell. There were other members that made very good functional kilns and loved them. There are plans for one or two on this site if they have not been removed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:47 am 

Thanks guys its been in there ever since the 17/january i ave been replacing the water i haven't tried it at all yet but ima gonna leave a surprise for myself here the smell has defiantly change it smells real good now just like what i imagine tobacco to smell like when i think of it :o i noticed there is brown resin tar or somecrap coming out the top of the styro box where i cut small vent holes im guessing thats another good sign i had mold growing in the bottom of the kiln underneath the water container not sure how they live in the heat but it didn't hurt the tobacco even the tobacco that had a few spots is not speeding.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:56 am 

I pull a leaf out every week or so to sample once it doesn't smell green. Sometimes I find a surprise. Once the green smell is gone then the ammonia smell is gone it is almost done. If you sample some and it needs more time just let it go longer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:11 am 

Thank you everyone.

I just took out enough for a smoke something has changed.. its dam spicy! :twisted: this is confusing but i guess the grassy taste covered up everything it still has the grass taste but you can tell it is defiantly lowering i think possibly another 2 weeks and it will be complete its been in there for nearly 4 weeks today :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:59 pm 

should not still have grassy taste.
air changes... must have periodic air changes, especially when process begins. rc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:34 am 

RC Does Tobacco benefit from being in Case in a kiln for long periods at ideal Temp/Humidity ie a few months as opposed to weeks.Or is that just over kill ?. Are there any benefits ? I understand Tobacco is similar to wine it improves over time.
What is the longest you have aged a Batch ?. I read that ageing naturally can take years ? Darren.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:11 pm 

I use cardboard boxes and brown paper bags. indoors, garage, and closet, whatever ambient may be, buffered by being indoors. I guess I've got some that's going on 4 or 5 years now... Yes, it mellows with age... rc