How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mold! nearly completly cured!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:52 pm 

Hi guys got a problem,

Cheecked on my baccy and its got tiny mold specs growing on it it is very humid outside can i bring them inside where the humidity is low and keep them there till it warms back up? its kind of a storm here at the moment and i cant trust it to my baccy after another overnight.

thanks

Post subject: Re: Mold! nearly completly cured!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:03 pm 

What/how are you curing it? I'm only familiar with Broadleaf, but mold only appears during the drying process where there is insufficient airflow in the barns or if it was stripped and bundled with too much moisture content. First thing I would do is gently try to rub the mold off of the tobacco and take it to a dryer location.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:13 pm 

havoc1482 wrote:
What/how are you curing it? I'm only familiar with Broadleaf, but mold only appears during the drying process where there is insufficient airflow in the barns or if it was stripped and bundled with too much moisture content. First thing I would do is gently try to rub the mold off of the tobacco and take it to a dryer location.

Sun curing with a glass roof never had a problem until this week when the storms happened humidity rose right up along with hot weather. I am sure there is enough airflow my setup is basically a greenhouse with 1 door always open. I have a fair bit of leaf i will try it and see if i have the patients to rub all my tobacco i am going to move the leaf right now indoors until the storm is over (could be a few days)

Thanks for your help

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:09 pm 

Green leaf won't mold because it is still alive. If it has colored up, you can dry it as fast as you want. You may need to spread it out and increase the air flow around the leaf to get the humidity down to 85% or less. Once it starts to turn brown, the leaf is dead and mold can start to grow. Mold thrives at 90% and above. Be sure to dry it until the main stem snaps like a dry twig. Then you can bring it back into case and pack it for storage. If you don't get all the water out of the main stem, it will mold in storage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:11 pm 

Is it a single door or two on either end? You need a steady movement of air. For example barns up north here have vents on all sides. Your most likely culrpit was the increase of moisture along with stagnant air. Spacing is also key, leaves that are bunched up too tight will trap pockets of moisture and mold will take hold

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:11 pm 

Great photo. It is now my desktop background.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:08 pm 

Skychaser, It was around 50% green i was just trying to get the rest of the green out but i just bit the bullet and put it in my kiln it is turning brown in my kiln maybe i could use this thing to color cure as well.

havoc1482, single door it i can probably put a vent in there for next season? It is a very small area so i am tight on space but i did space them so they where not touching.

thanks guys!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:27 pm 

offtobacco wrote:
Skychaser, It was around 50% green i was just trying to get the rest of the green out but i just bit the bullet and put it in my kiln it is turning brown in my kiln maybe i could use this thing to color cure as well.

havoc1482, single door it i can probably put a vent in there for next season? It is a very small area so i am tight on space but i did space them so they where not touching.

thanks guys!

sorry for the late reply. Yes putting at least two major openings for air will help keep it moving. In tobacco barns the spacing is tighter as you work your way up. Tobacco on bottom tier (ground level) is about 3 feet above the dirt with spacing about 10 inches apart. Since I'm assuming you hang one tier on the bottom its paramount to give the leaves a wide berth. There is no such thing as "too much space".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:16 pm 

I am just practicing inserting pics into a post, so if there are no pics here, then you know I have not mastered the process yet.
Hopefully 2 pics will show of my drying barn. Well not really a barn, just a lean-to built into the corner of a fence-line. The fence palings have small gaps between them and the front is protected from the elements with wind / shade cloth, so tons of ventilation. The rails are just wire strung across and I use S shaped wire hooks to attach the leaf.

Well that didn't work. Have to try again.

Ok, that's better, but pics appear a bit small and didn't show captions. How do I get it to show cations and how to increase the size? Will need to have a bit more of a play with this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:57 pm 

personally, with all that room, I'd space em out more. Unless that isn't a full shed. The thought of green leaves touching so much makes me uncomfortable haha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:03 pm 

havoc1482 wrote:
personally, with all that room, I'd space em out more. Unless that isn't a full shed.

Certainly isn't full, a lot more yet to go into it yet. But I take your point and shall space them out until the space is needed later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:24 am 

I have had that problem back in the day. What I did, was mix 50/50 , water and peroxide in water. segrigate the ones with mold. Mist the leaf till wet. Let set a while, rince well- then hang so air will flow till all of the way dry. (Even the stems) Then put back in the kiln with a fan and watch humidity. That is My way? Mad-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:29 pm 

I've been reading about fungi.
Once it latches on and begins to establish itself, it has done damage by feeding off the host.
That's what it does.
The leaf will never be what it was.
Perhaps a small difference, perhaps more... I dunno...
rc