How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kiln temps and humidity questions (confused)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:32 am 

Hello growers. Ive been color curing then smoke but decided i should try to ferment in a kiln. Got yer a few questions, Ive been searching for kiln temperatures and humidity for fermenting tobacco but it is all different everywhere i read If anyone could give me a few tips that would be great! At this moment my kiln is 37c in temp and 59% humidity have only been going for a day and it is pretty stable at the moment but no tobacco smell i am thinking of adding a thermostat to the light bulb to control the heat, I am using a bowl of water for humidity.
Thank you have a good day

Post subject: Re: Kiln temps and humidity questions (confused)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:23 am 

I run my kiln ( reworked fridge) at 70% Rh and the temp is kept close to 50C. I also use 2 12 volt computer fans for air flow. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:21 pm 

lakota53 wrote:
I run my kiln ( reworked fridge) at 70% Rh and the temp is kept close to 50C. I also use 2 12 volt computer fans for air flow. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input lakota53, Ive added more water and have gotten up to 71% humidity and put some blankets over the kiln and got up to 41C I am still waiting for it to stabilize since i just opened her up but i will post back here when shes stable. Its a Styrofoam seafood box used for transport. What do you think about adding a thermostat to my light bulb? it would make me feel better during hot days so i wont have to mess about with getting the temp down.

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:04 pm 

Yes a temp controller will take the guess work out and you can set it to the desired temp. Better safe than sorry. Here is a page for the one that I use. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/A-S0-WILLHI-Digi ... 4182c66b70

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:23 am 

A temp controller would give you peace of mind for sure. Temps around 122 to 130 and humidity around 70% for 30 to 40 days is what I stride for in my kiln and I have some good results. I would use several small computer fans to move the air around inside the chamber this helps keep temps and humidity constant and no hot spots and in my case helps to prevent mold.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:47 am 

Thanks guys I went ahead and just ordered one its a home brew temperature controller got it for 25 bucks on the bay. Right now the kiln is 44c and at 74% its been rising all day it has not lowered just risen its like a plant at the moment slow and steady wins the race. I am thinking of letting it run for a week empty, leaving the lid of for around 30 minutes a day and try to get a neutral smell inside because at this minute it has a lovely sent of yep that's right foam.

Have a good day folks.