How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rehydrating super dry leaf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:19 am 

So I got a sack of leaf that has been in a very large plastic bag for around three maybe four years. You can bet its dry as can be so I was wondering the best way to hydrate them. Resently read on a distilling forum a suggestion of using whiskey to do this. Is that an option? As I may possibly have some quality spirit laying around here :wink: .

Post subject: Re: Rehydrating super dry leaf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:38 pm 

I had the same problem with leaves dried up in the attic for the Whole Winter.
I took them outside in the damp Winter air.

And it began to rain, and they laid there in a pile in the rain for 2 days.
Then they were fine and flexible so I could pack them in the kiln.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:33 pm 

crow wrote:
So I got a sack of leaf that has been in a very large plastic bag for around three maybe four years. You can bet its dry as can be so I was wondering the best way to hydrate them. Resently read on a distilling forum a suggestion of using whiskey to do this. Is that an option? As I may possibly have some quality spirit laying around here :wink: .

Quite a long time ago I read advice saying the quality we might enjoy in whiskey does not translate when it is burned.

This is my experience, also.

I can see the value of a rum soaked tip, or something like that...

Best
rc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:48 am 

JPSDK wrote:
And it began to rain, and they laid there in a pile in the rain for 2 days.

To clarify, you don't want to actually leave them out in the rain, just out in the humid air. Often just hanging them outside overnight on a humid night will do it too. I have also taken whole strings and wrapped a big trash bag around them with a wet rag in the bottom. The leaf will slowly absorb humidity and be supple in a day or two. If you are in a hurry, shred or flake it, toss it into a zip lock bag and sprinkle in a few drops of water. Then toss it in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir it up a little in the bag and let it rest an hour or two. Just don't add to much water at first. It's easy to over shoot it. If it's still to dry add a few more drops of water and repeat the process. It works great if you are in a hurry.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:41 am 

What's the best way to flake it when its this old. I found that one of those coffee grinders are prone to turning some of it to snuff . :oops:

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:53 am 

I just take bone dry leaf and crush it by hand over a 1/4 inch sifter screen. That keeps it from becoming powder from over grinding and takes out a lot of little stems too. Then I add a few drops of water and toss it in the microwave. If you like flaked tobacco for rolling cigarettes, it's a super easy and quick way to do it.

My sifter is only about 6" x 8" and was meant for sifting dirt, but you could make one easy enough of any size with 1/4" hardware cloth stapled to a wood frame. I made one to fit on top of a wheel barrow for sifting potting soil for seed flats. It works great.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:07 am 

Cheers guys for your assistance, greatly appreciated :wink:

I did try a little run infusion with some and I wasn't unimpressed, it was different but not so bad. Its something I might experiment with a bit, oaked un-oaked etc.